• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weird penny?

23 posts in this topic

I have a 1990 Lincoln Cent which at the time was thought to have possibley been struck on a genuine unplated zinc planchet. In 1991 there was correspondence back and forth with Coin World and Ken Potter. In order to determine if in fact it was the coin was subjected to 300 Degree heat for 15 minutes. A genuine zinc cent would have turned yellow but this one did not. It was therefore thought to have been a genuine unplated zinc cent. It was suggested to submit to J. P. Martin who at that time was at the ANA but it was not. I just recently sent the coin to ANACS with copies of all correspondence relating to it's history, but alas it came back as not a genuine unplated zinc cent but rather they feel it has been lightly plated to appear as an unplated zinc cent.

I apologize if that really doesn't help you with yours, but I though it was an interesting side note. All kinds of possibilities out there with coins.

Rey

1990D1CZincNoCopper.jpg

Since this is a 1975-D cent it would not have been made with the current zinc core-copper shell method that is used for currently manufactured cents. This piece should be made out of 0.95 copper and 0.05 tin and zinc. It may be lightly plated with another metal.

Sometimes kids will coat a cent with mercury so they can spend it as a dime. Not recommended since mercury can be toxic. Since it weights the same as a normal cent, it's probably a normal cent with some kind of coating or plating.

Since it is a 1975, that immediately rules out the unplated zinc cent issue. The copper plated zinc cents were not made until 1982. It is almost certainly a plating of some sort.

I vote plated also. It looks like some copper is bleeding through on Lincoln's shoulder and head. Could be the scan, but it looks like copper. smile.gif