• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conservation as Preservation prior to slabbing for Gold Pandas

3 posts in this topic

I have just purchased a five coin set of gold Pandas. They came in a soft plastic sealed envelope from the Chinese mint. I am going to have these slabbed for my daughter and expect to hold them at least twenty years. I really don't want these coins developing spots or hazing or other problems in that time frame due to any reside the mint packaging might have left. I wonder if I should send these to you for PVC residue removal (not that I can see any, but an afraid the soft plastic mint packaging might have deposited some - albeit a small amount) before I send these into NGC. Or would this just be a waste of your guys time and my money?

I understand Gold isn't very reactive, but 20 years in storage seems like a long time to me...

The other thing I'm considering is rinsing these in acetone (I hear that will not touch the coin's metal surface, but removes PVC). I don't suppose you might offer comment on that idea? The prospect makes me a little skittish as these have proof-like strikes and I'm a bit afraid of doing anything with them other than looking at them. (yea, yea, I'm a wuss).

Thanks,

Bob

Original mint packaging in general is not the best for long-term storage. For Pandas in particular, the original mint packing does contain PVC. I have seen many Panda coins submitted through NCS that have varying degrees of staining due to the PVC being deposited on the surface. I would recommend removing the coins from the original packaging. Having the coins conserved prior to certification by NGC would also be a good idea.

Chris, NCS

I submitted a large batch of pandas through NCS for cleanup before sending them over to NGC abd I can say they did an excellent job. Could you use acetone and do it yourself? Maybe, but I didn't feel comfortable doing that when I could let NCS handle it for a modest cost.

Welcome to the world of Panda Collecting. Feel free to PM me with any Panda Specific questions.