• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Case Numbers

2 posts in this topic

OK, I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I just can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I'm a new user to this board and just recently started collecting NGC certified coins. In the past, I just bought coins because I liked them and never really cared about certification. Anyway, to make a long story short, I just received my 20th anniversary 3 coin gold set and 3 coin silver set. Both sets have all 3 coins graded out as 70 grades which of course is the best grade possible. The silver set shares the same serial number with the exception of the second set of 3 digits. Example: 123456789-002 The silver sets ends in 002, 003 and 005. The gold set ends in 001, 002 and 003. I received my gold set first and thought the last 3 digits signified the order of the coins, but apparently that makes no sense as my silver set isn't consecutive and doesn't have the 001 coin. Can any tell me what the last 3 numbers stand for? Is it better to have them in consecutive order or doesn't it matter? confused.gif Thanks for the help!

• Administrator

Hi PJ:

Thanks for your question.

Each coin graded by NGC receives a unique (nine or) ten digit serial number. The first (six or) seven digits are the submission invoice number of the coin. These are unique an not repeated. The next three digits, separated by a dash, are the line item on the invoice number. That is 1234567-003 was the third coin submitted on grading invoice 1234567.

This numbering system allow NGC to track coins from moment of receipt through shipping, and enables submitters to match coins to their original submission invoice.

While many collectors like the idea of sequential numbers, there is no numismatic significance to them.