• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned coin thread ATS

32 posts in this topic

Ok, then on a practical basis, what should an owner of such a coin do when it comes time to sell? He shouldn't melt it or mess with it or efface it. What can or should he do to sell it, but at the same time avoid promoting the doctoring of coins?

If they are just an average collector, then I'm pretty much OK with them getting rid of the coin in any manner they want.

HOWEVER, if they are a dealer who has gone well out of his way to (unsuccessfully) try and stop the slabbing of these coins, has repeatedly demonized the people who are partly responsible for their production, who has publicly stated that this is wrong, and who once made the comment that they would prefer *I* melt one of the coins (which ironically was a coin that I actually had nothing to do with the possibly natural rainbow color on it) instead of sell it, then I feel that it would be reasonable for that person not to take them on consignment.

If he has them in inventory, then perhaps he should wholesale them out and not list them on his web site or email the list of them to collectors. FYI, this is what you told me you would do. You said any you got back you'd wholesale them out and mention to the dealer the MS70, but wouldn't list them on your web site.

If you are that much against them, then you shouldn't be handling them - even under the guise of educating the market. If you really want to educate the market, then I've got a few that you can sell and you can clearly say you think that MS70 had something to do with the color. Interested in some educational material? smile.gif

Ok, then on a practical basis, what should an owner of such a coin do when it comes time to sell? He shouldn't melt it or mess with it or efface it. What can or should he do to sell it, but at the same time avoid promoting the doctoring of coins?

If they are just an average collector, then I'm pretty much OK with them getting rid of the coin in any manner they want.

HOWEVER, if they are a dealer who has gone well out of his way to (unsuccessfully) try and stop the slabbing of these coins, has repeatedly demonized the people who are partly responsible for their production, who has publicly stated that this is wrong, and who once made the comment that they would prefer *I* melt one of the coins (which ironically was a coin that I actually had nothing to do with the possibly natural rainbow color on it) instead of sell it, then I feel that it would be reasonable for that person not to take them on consignment.

If he has them in inventory, then perhaps he should wholesale them out and not list them on his web site or email the list of them to collectors. FYI, this is what you told me you would do. You said any you got back you'd wholesale them out and mention to the dealer the MS70, but wouldn't list them on your web site.

If you are that much against them, then you shouldn't be handling them - even under the guise of educating the market. If you really want to educate the market, then I've got a few that you can sell and you can clearly say you think that MS70 had something to do with the color. Interested in some educational material? smile.gif

Yes, I was asking what a COLLECTOR could/should do, given the circumstances. As for my offering the coin for sale, it's not under the "guise of educating". I debated whether to accept the coin on consignment or not, and decided that there were only two real possibilities remaining if/once it had been worked on and a collector whom had ended up with it wanted to sell it (sorry for that run-on sentence): 1) I could offer it for sale with disclosure or 2) someone else could offer it for sale without disclosure. I chose the former as the lesser of two evils, all things considered.