• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking For Ideas: Framing Somalia Motorcycle Coins

8 posts in this topic

Recently, I picked up a set of the Somalia motorcycle coins (see an example here) along with a sheet of the USPS motorcycle stamps that were available a few months ago. Origianlly, I was going to frame the stamps but when I found the coins I thought it would be neat to have both. My concept is to frame the stamp sheet in the middle and the coins on either side.

This is where my problem begins. The motorcycle coins are not round nor have a consistent shape--which is their purpose. How can I add these coins to this ensemble without destroying the coins? I have already thought about tracing the coins and cutting the matte, but I am not sure I can get a tight fit to hold the coins that way. I am looking for ideas. THANKS!

Scott hi.gif

I'd trace the coins, cut the matte, then place the glass tightly over top of them. They should hold in place just fine.

My dad loves these things... I have the guitar coins myself, they're kinda goofy, but cool at the same time.

Soldering them to a motorcycle would not be practical for the long term, however this reminds me of some photos I have from 1995.

Some where around here I have some photo graphs I took of Hank Williams jr.’s 1964 Catalina Pontiac Convertible. It was all decked out with large steer horns on the hood, mounted carbine rifles, mounted 6 shot revolvers, a western saddle mounted on the console between the two front seats decorated with Morgan Silver Dollars. (lots of them)

If you used a thin layer of black foam instead of cardboard matting, then you might be able to place the NCLTs onto the foam where they will likely be held fairly well after a glass top is put over them.

Scott, you might want to consider mounting them in a "shadwobox". The frame would have to be about 1/2" depth from the glass to the backing. You can buy framing material designed for this. First, the backing would be in two parts. Cover a piece of mat board with velvet cloth in your choice of color. This is what you would see inside the frame. Second, use a piece of 1/4" foamcore behind the mat board. It would be held in place by "points". Before seating the mat board and foamcore into place, you could mount the coins using special pins. The foamcore would keep the pins from protruding all the way through. The pins have a short shank and a pearl-shaped head. You may have seen these being used on Antiques Roadshow to mount small pictures, jewelry, etc. You can buy them at almost any office supply store. It isn't really necessary to make cut-outs in the mat board for mounting, and the coins only need to be mounted in a pleasing, yet balanced, scene.

Another option, rather than mounting the stamps in the shadowbox, would be to make a separate frame for the stamps and arrange both hangings as a grouping. This would go real nice with them! 1761226-IMG_1543.JPG

I hope that this helps.

Chris

1761226-IMG_1543.JPG.804dece28346df2a465991efa5c31b93.JPG

All are very interesting ideas. TomB has the idea I like the most (do I have to forgive you now? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif) but I will look into all of them. When I decide and do it, I will post the result. THANKS!

Scott hi.gif

All are very interesting ideas. TomB has the idea I like the most (do I have to forgive you now? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif) but I will look into all of them. When I decide and do it, I will post the result. THANKS!

Scott hi.gif

You would have to make sure that the black foam is archival quality. The only other drawback I can see with Tom's idea would be if you lived close to the Metro. The vibrations from the trains may cause the coins to rub against the glass.

Chris

Scott hi.gif

It is rare for me to carry a dispute from one thread over into another, which some folks find amazing, so there is no animosity or angst from my end toward you.