• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If this was a USA it would be worth a MInt !!!

14 posts in this topic

Hi all hi.gif

check this out i got this from my "Frendly post office" a Blank ! £1 but with half the edge patten (no reeding) What a Mint error. chufft to bits with it i think i will send it to NGC and get it slabbed. What do you think 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1759351-%A3.jpg

1759351-1p.jpg

a normal £1

1759351-tep.jpg

1759351-111.jpg

1759351-111.jpg.e399a1e1a07c8905563fc7ab450a246a.jpg

Chuffed is kind of you being very pleased (within yourself) about how a thing has turned out..

probably comes from the Chough bird which always seems to be happy in its enviroment around costal cliffs in Wales and Irland never wandering far !!

1759915-%21.jpg1759915-%21%21.gif

hi.gif you think thats good how about this Geordie saying ...............

"Hoyyaammaowaearmara" 27_laughing.gif

1759915-!!.gif.245a1760347bf5fa3298a66296ccf426.gif

Nice.

The reason it only has half the edge is because Britain puts on the underlying part of the edge first (Possibly as part of the upsetting of the edge)and then strikes it in a reeded collar creating the reeds and devices at the same time. The reeded collar allows for a little bit of expantion so the underlying edge design/inscription isn't crushed.

Nice edge pattern, I think it looks nicer by itself than with reeds thumbsup2.gif

Nothing to lose by asking NGC about holdering. Their edge view holders are made in custom sizes for specific US coin diameters so I'm not sure if they have one-offs available for off-sizes.

If they won't do it, you can always ask CGS which probably does do edge view holders for that size.

Nothing to lose by asking NGC about holdering. Their edge view holders are made in custom sizes for specific US coin diameters

I wouldn't be surprised to find that they only have the edge view holders in two sizes. Double eagle and Small dollar. They probably haven't seen and need to go to the expense of creating them for the other sizes. (They had the Double eagle size for three years but never created any other size until it was needed for the president dollar series. It is expensive to have dies made up to create those inserts. If you aren't going to be using a lot of them, why go to the expense?)

Several weeks ago I asked NGC if they would holder a St. Gaudens in one of those holders and they said that they were only for the New Dollar coins and that was it. screwy.gif

I even offered to pay whatever.

Rey

So ask again and if they refuse ask them why since they have been putting 1907 double eagles in them for years. And if you are asking in person give them a picture of one of them.

My guess is they only had a certain number of holder insert made and they are now out of them.