• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lets discuss...

8 posts in this topic

So I am looking over completed ebay Auctions for nice quarter sets. I find this set and I am reading the fine print. At either rate most of this looks plausable for a nice high grade set. Then I read the part about the back half of the set... This line... "Approximately 75% of the coins from 1940 to 1964 are Ms66 or better, there are many monster GEM BU Ms67 or 68 to be found, providing a resale value well in excess of $18,000 retail on an individual coin basis! " I would kindly like this seller to tell me where all the MS 68 coins are when I am looking for them. Not to mention he claims that there are also many MS 67 coins! That line right there makes me put doubt on the whole set as a whole. Makes me wonder if he is not overgrading the whole set. If I had a set of that caliber I wanted to move, I would sure as heck not be selling it on Ebay as a set. He claims the set to be worth $18,000.00 but yet starts the set off super cheap. If the set is what he says it is he took a beating on it. Discuss!!

Some of the early highlights include;

1932 GEM BU Ms65 or better = $375.00

1932-D CH BU Ms63 or better = $2700-$5,000

(With a GEM BU Ms65 Reverse)

1932-S Very CH BU Ms64 = $1,750+

(With a GEM BU Ms65 Reverse)

1934 GEM BU Ms65

1934-D CH BU Ms63 = $300

1935 GEM BU Ms65 = $100

1935-D GEM BU Ms65 = $800

1935-S CH BU Ms63 = $100

1936 Very CH BU Ms64 = $30

1936-D CH BU Ms63 = $900

1936-S Very CH BU Ms64 = $160

1937 GEM BU Ms65 =$75

1937-D Very CH BU ms64 = $85

1937-S GEM BU Ms65 = $350

1938 Very CH BU Ms64 =$120

1938-S GEM BU Ms65 = $240

1939 GEM BU Ms65 = $40

1939-D GEM BU Ms65 = $100

1939-S GEM BU Ms65 = $300

From 1940 to 1964 all coins are a minimum of GEM BU Ms65 or better, including the 1940-D and 1942-S (both of which are superb and may grade even higher. Approximately 75% of the coins from 1940 to 1964 are Ms66 or better, there are many monster GEM BU Ms67 or 68 to be found, providing a resale value well in excess of $18,000 retail on an individual coin basis!

I am willing to bet anybody a lunch that many of the coins are overgraded by this seller! Anybody want to take that bet? Well it is a mute point as this set is sold, but lets discuss this set and or tactics. The set brought $4,938.88. I would call BS on the sellers part. I cannot state this as fact, but I am willing to stake my name on it.

I agree with you Bruce, and find it very had to believe that the set was as he claimed. Your point about why he would be selling on Ebay is correct, something that would be that good, would certainly bring top dollar through another venue/auction. Also if the seller did not have a minimum on the auction higher than what you indicate it was sold for, he has to either be not completely truthful about the coins or not very bright.

Would be interesting to find out if the buyer received what they thought was worth that price.

Rey

I would have liked to examine this set in hand. If the set is even close to what the seller said it was, there is alot of money left on the table by the seller. Not too bright...

It's very possible that he may be an ex-NNC or Hallmark grader. You know he overgraded if he sold it at that price. The reserve on the 32-D and 32-S alone would be at least that.

Suprisingly the pictures of the coins were very nice. I am shocked it went soo cheap. If the set had been mine I would have had a reserve on it. One of the better sets I have seen on ebay in some time.

Bruce----Thanks for the pictures you put up for me the other day---by the way.

On the Washingtons----would have liked to have seen the pictures. But, I think that those of us who frequent Ebay a lot----well---we just get scared. After you look at thousands of listings----maybe hundreds of thousands of coins, you come to realize that only one out of hundreds of listings is even worth the trouble. You get sooooo used to sellers overgrading their material----or hyping it to death when you know that it is a lie. Or altering the pictures---or AT the coins. Well, just every so often, an honest seller comes along. Your first reaction is somehow to find out what is wrong with the coins? I guess, because you have seen so many bad coins, you almost can't believe that some good ones are now staring you in the face?

We have become sooooo suspicious of everything-----AND RIGHTLY SO----that, when and if we finally see something that is legit, we want to find out why it just can't be alright. We tend to want to trust in life---but then, in coins especially, we tend to know that folks are only after the bucks when selling their wares.

Can't say for sure about the coins that you mention. My normal reaction would have been that they were overgraded. If he had such a high graded set, why are they not holdered?? Surely he knows that PCGS and NGC coins would bring a lot of money----certainly more than a 'raw' set. Especially in those high MS grades.

But----every once in awhile----someone will put up stuff that is 100% right on. That is the one listing that you do not want to miss. It DOES happen----and we all know that, if we are awake, that we will do well. Then we just pray that no one else sees it. I guess it is the little bit of GREED in all of us?? Those few good coins are WHY we keep looking on Ebay.

Look at me----I got lucky and found all those MS Walkers last year. I ended up paying well below bluesheet prices for 'raw' coins that now are the last half of my Walker Registry Set. You, being a quarter person, well you want to take a chance on that set. But your gut just bothers you----what if you are wrong?? And get hooked for thousands of dollars. In the end, it is a CRXX shoot. You just pray that you are good enough to tell and be 99.9% sure that you are right if you do decide to bid. And hope there is a return priviledge if you are wrong.

I guess my whole answer to this post comes down to this: Out of thousands of listings that you see----there is ONE that you really want to own. Bob [supertooth]