• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stunning 1794 1c on UK ebay i wish i had the money to bid

21 posts in this topic

What a stunner shame its half a years wages i Want it I want it takeit.gif

1794 starting bid £2,100.00 Pipe dream coin !!!!!!

1759131-d58d_1.jpg1759131-d67a_1.jpg

How can he sell this coin "I could never let it go if i owned it

1759131-d72b_1.jpg

hi.gif

1759131-d72b_1.jpg.a8ae56275062b60dcaad3cd3e4719300.jpg

That 1794 is real. It's a Sheldon-22 variety, R-1, so-called Bent Lock variety. The sixth lock of hair from the bottom on the obverse is bent downward, and the "mounds" on the reverse are visible above the ONE. Looks like it has nice surfaces with around EF-40 sharpness. The problem with the coin are the two severe rim dings and a few smaller ones. This coin would likely be netted by EAC standards to a VF-20 or less because of the rim damage. But if you can live with the rim dings it's a very nice coin.

thumbsup2.gif Good information.... The dings look old.. as you say .. a very nice coin but way out of my price range 27_laughing.gif

That 1794 is real. It's a Sheldon-22 variety, R-1, so-called Bent Lock variety. The sixth lock of hair from the bottom on the obverse is bent downward, and the "mounds" on the reverse are visible above the ONE. Looks like it has nice surfaces with around EF-40 sharpness. The problem with the coin are the two severe rim dings and a few smaller ones. This coin would likely be netted by EAC standards to a VF-20 or less because of the rim damage. But if you can live with the rim dings it's a very nice coin.

Good summary except, to me, the dings are so distracting that I would net it down to F15. But, as Hoot recently pointed out, EAC grading is very subjective.

And 2100 pounds is waaaaaay too much money for this coin. If not for the dings, it would be an exceptional piece.

Here is a PCGS VF20 piece that I bought raw from Hoot for $1200 a few months ago. It ranks among my top ten favorite coins. thumbsup2.gif

1759554-1794LgCtstacked.jpg

1759554-1794LgCtstacked.jpg.974fbe577448f2825def96d2f752e66b.jpg

The color looks a bit off to me, but then again, that could be said for most of these coins. It does have great detail left, and both sides are well-centered, and the obverse is very nice....Mike

p.s. FWIW, here's my example of the date/type:

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

I think everyone has been way to hard on this 1794! I am sure it will be in a NGC or PCGS holder some day selling for much more than it is listed for today!