• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1981P Jefferson nickel - micro P?

3 posts in this topic

I'm not sure I can answer your question but I can tell you that a small P mint mark was used on nickels beginning in 1980 through 1984. In 1985 and to the present a much larger P mint mark has been used, at first hand punched, now added to the master die. Without seeing it, it's possible that your nickel could be showing die deterioration which might make the small mint mark look like a blob without magnification.

What I'd like to know is why the 1995D nickel reverted (for just that one year) back to the smaller D mint mark used before 1985. I haven't seen any with the larger D. smile.gif

I've seen a few apparently wrong sized mint marks on coins of that era. '81-P nickel is, I believe, one of them.

Mint marks can vary in size by the depth at which they are punched but the distance between the parts of the mark shouldn't vary.