• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accepting checks at coin shows

9 posts in this topic

I think I mentioned that at the last Boston coin show I was interested in moving my Antietam (PCGS 66) if the right opportunity presented itself. I never received an offer that I was contented with so I didn’t end up selling the coin.

I did have one concern however; I was hoping to get $900 for the coin and I wasn’t sure if dealers would have that kind of cash early in the show. I thought I might be offered a check and wasn’t sure what I should do in that instance. What are peoples’ policies on accepting checks at coin shows? Only from folks you know? Anyone with a table?

Thanks for any insight!

If I were walking the floor and offered a coin to a tabled-dealer I would have no problem accepting a check as long as I did not need payment in cash at that moment. If you have a table at a show like the Boston show then you already have shared your information with the show organizer. Therefore, if there is a problem with the check, you will most likely be able to contact the dealer directly to remedy the situation.

In my opinion, most dealers at a show the size of Boston will have more than that amount of cash at the beginning of the show, though they may rather pay by check because they, too, will not know if they need to make a cash payment later in the day. Also, there are times near the end of a show that some dealers will prefer to pay in cash simply because they have received quite a bit during the show. At smaller, monthly shows it would not surprise me to have a dealer pay with a check for that amount.

I hope I read your question correctly. crazy.gif

Yes thanks. Significantly more helpful than jgrinz thumbsup2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gifmphhh I was gonna make you an offer but after that spiteful jab I will pass

893naughty-thumb.gif

Yes thanks. Significantly more helpful than jgrinz thumbsup2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gifmphhh I was gonna make you an offer but after that spiteful jab I will pass

893naughty-thumb.gif

I'll trade it to you for the El Camino 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I will have to think about that one ... You should come visit and see it in person

m

I will have to think about that one ... You should come visit and see it in person

m

I don’t go out to the boonies very much. Next time I’m going hunting I’ll probably be that far out of town. I’ll stop by.