• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

? from a fat, balding middle-aged guy who spends hours on these boards every day

17 posts in this topic

There's actually some current events symbolism in Montana's use of the bison skull. Montana has a state policy that results in mass killing of bison. The following are quotes from a Buffalo Field Campaign press release:

• "Every bison to migrate into Montana across Yellowstone's western boundary this year [2007] has been killed and there are currently no bison in the area." 1016 bison were killed last season.
  • Mike Mease of the wild bison advocacy group Buffalo Field Campaign said, "The new quarter is appropriate for Montana under the Schweitzer administration, [...] A bison skull is the perfect symbol for a state whose policies favor dead bison over live bison. [...] We were hopeful that Schweitzer would uphold the promises on which he was elected, but under his watch nearly every buffalo to enter Montana has been killed."
  • Glenn Hockett, President of the Gallatin Wildlife Association, says "Using hunters to systematically kill every bison that enters Montana is not something I am proud to be a part of."

Ugh, I think I might end up associating that quote about favoring "dead bison over live bison" forever with the Montana state quarter now. How many states can say their quarter symbolizes current state policies?

How many states can say their quarter symbolizes current state policies?

I believe NJ might have been the first with its interpretation of "Uggg, we're in Jersey, let's get the heck out of here even if we have to paddle across a river!" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I believe NJ might have been the first with its interpretation of "Uggg, we're in Jersey, let's get the heck out of here even if we have to paddle across a river!"

Hey! I resemble that remark. insane.gif

John

I'm not sure EZ_E. I haven't had time to look deeper into the issue. Apparently the bison skull is an important symbol to the Indians inhabiting the Montana area and I was searching for the specific spiritual/symbolic meaning it had for the Indians when I ran across that article. I haven't found an answer to that yet either.

FYI,

If my history serves me correct from growing up in Texas and Oklahoma, the Bison was critical to North American Indians. Only the "Great Spirit" was regarding more important. Bison provided the main diet for Indians as well as materials for clothing, shelter, tools and other items of every day life. Every portion of the Bison was used in some manner.

Check out the Bison Cameo on this Canadian Dollar.

Rey

IMG_1564-1.jpg

FYI,

...growing up in Texas and Oklahoma...

I knew there had to be a reason why I liked ya. grin.gif I grew up in Oklahoma. thumbsup2.gif I'll overlook the Texas part. tongue.gif

EZ_E

Born in Texas, grew up in Tulsa, attended OU and UT both believe it or not but once a Sooner Fan, always a Sooner Fan.

Boomer Sooner thumbsup2.gif

Rey

Tulsa, eh? That's where I grew up. Went to Nathan Hale High School: class of '83. You? Remember what SOMDEC means? crazy.gif

Went to Memorial High School, graduated in 1975. Can't say that I know what SOMDEC means or perhaps I just can't remember. Been a long time. Lived there from 1963 to 1975.

One of the things I miss most is the Coney Islander Hot Dogs.

Rey

Thats cool. I grew up in Oklahoma as well.

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Where?

OKC, but I spent a lot of weekends in Tulsa.

Lots of great rock and country bands chose Tulsa over OKC.

I started off a Texan before I became an Okie.:)