• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Auction venue should I take...

Auction Venue  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Auction Venue

24 posts in this topic

I've never been treated well by them for any of my consignments, both coin and currency.

additionally, a couple of coins I bought from them with raving reviews, were given mediocre reviews when they went up for auction the second time. Same for some currency. That really pissed me off.

Mike,

I do not have any direct experience with either buying or selling through these Auction venues you list, but have spoken to a few of them fact finding, etc. I already voted based on my limited knowledge of them and what I have heard. I was wondering why you did not also list David Lawrence Rare Coins. Again I have not bought or sold there but have spoken to them at times and recall a recent Post that seemed to give an overall good opinion of them from folks out here.

Just a thought.

Rey

I like David Lawrence alot, from things I've heard, and responses I've recieved from him when I had questions. I only bought one coin by auction thru them, and I was very happy with it. I just find his photos or scans are really terrible and I don't know how competitive his auctions are.

Almost everyone I have talked with about Bust Halves says Sheridan Downey is the way to go -- they seem to be Downey's specialty and as a result has a deep client list of buyers for that particular series.

Heritage took 2 months to get back to me on an inquiry about selling some coins, and I have heard other tales about them that has left me less than impressed...

i would not consign to auction too much of a wait months to get paid and then the nego. are a pain in the

as once they get your coins the deal goes south and then you got no control over the photos and desc. i would consign to osburn he got a good rep sells fast from waht i can see and does all the shows and has many tons of buyers

I don't want Osburn setting the prices on my coins, I want the market to do that in auction. Also, things can sit in his inventory, at least in auction, they all go in one day. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't consider it.

Mike,

If it were me I would talk to a few sellers, tell them what I want done and see who could accommodate me. My past experience has shown me that there are some wise experienced sellers out there who can advise you on the spot once you have told them your plans.

I may even consider selling in separate groups for 3 reasons. 1. As to not flood the action sale with the same type of coinage. I think this would allow a Bust Collector an opportunity to pursue your items at separate intervals for obvious reasons. 2. Different auctions could yield different results. 3. Selling in increments would allow you some control to pull back and sell at a different time or to change your plans or switch sellers. Be sure and mention this strategy to your prospective seller agents.

BTW ..From what I’ve seen I think you have some nice material to offer and I didn’t participate in your poll.

Good Luck to you thumbsup2.gif

Edited to add: After presenting my plan to the prospective seller I would welcome there feed back and may possible modify my plan.

My last choice would be B&M or Golderberg's since I don't trust the images from Goldberg's and I don't know that B&M has the market penetration that you would want. Additionally, I think it possible that your coins could get buried in their lots. Stack's/ANR would be next-to-last for me because I find their images can be extraordinarily nasty and this can significantly suppress bidding. Legend would be next in line to be cut because I don't know that they have a deep enough base of collectors for this niche at this time. Heritage and Sheridan Downey would be excellent choices, but since you dislike Heritage so much it appears that Sheridan is the way to go.

DLRC provides a nice auction venue, too, and they have the added bonus of allowing you to place a minimum on the coin at which point it would automatically sell to DLRC if no one met the minimum. However, the minimum may be a bit lower than you would want to accept. Osburn is terrific, but he has no images on his site and that can lead to inventory sitting longer than it should.

I hope that you will post the coins here prior to putting them up for auction. I am sure some of us will make nice offers on the ones we want grin.gif

I hope that you will post the coins here prior to putting them up for auction. I am sure some of us will make nice offers on the ones we want grin.gif

I agree and over on the BST at CU, as well, through an intermediary if you have issues with posting there yourself. Coins like these can be sold for strong money to fellow collectors without the middleman.

Otherwise, I would vote for Heritage. Past problems aside, they do bring out the bidders. A consignment like this should get their attention, and you should be able to specify a venue like FUN or Summer ANA for best results.

I agree..

Mike please do post them before you sell.

And note that my prior post reflected my in experience selling higher end offerings.

I voted Heritage simply because they are the only auction house that I have personally purchased from.

I agree with MR Stanley and not say put your eggs in one basket split into 3 groups and divide those with an assortment of values.Than was if you were to hit a sale that didn't have

the collectors you need to get the best prices you would make it up on the next sale??I could be wrongbut it nice to take 3 swings of the bat for the best results