• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toning on Silver Eagles

17 posts in this topic

I've got some Silver Eagles in my album developing some purply color around the rim. Is this perfectly normal and is the color supposed to move inwards? Just checking to make sure nothing unnatural is happening...

Perfectly normal? There is no such thing when it comes to toning, but yes, ASE’s can develop purple rim tone if stored in an album under the right conditions. As for the color moving inwards, maybe it will and maybe it won’t, and if it does it may not stay purple.

That’s the thing about toning, no one can predict if or exactly how a coin will tone. You could put three coins side by side into an album and after some time find that one coin toned wonderfully, another ugly, and the other may not have toned at all.

John

Maybe that's why they milk spot quicker too 893whatthe.gif.-

4gzghs6.jpg2n9jqk0.jpg

Your Proof Eagle is not fair representative of the series, it is only one example.

There are various reasons why it has spots; handling and storage are two factors to consider. Hope this helps. thumbsup2.gif

Handling and storage will not affect milk spots at all: they are present from the time they leave the mint.

Two questions for you.

Do you have any Proof Eagles?

Do you think this coin was graded looking like it does? smile.gif

I have proof ASEs and physics is correct on the milk spots. If these are milk spots on your coin they were formed during planchet preparation and were on the coin when it left the mint. I good question for others more knowledgable would be how many points do milk spots drag a grade down?

Milk spots will usually knock a grade down at least a point or two, or maybe more depending on the severity. Milk spots are a term reserved for spots as a result of improper planchet preparation, usually theorized to be a soapy wash that is applied to clean the coins. The problem was extremely prevalent during the 1950s and 60s, and I thought that the problem was mostly solved. Milk spots are incurable: if your coin has them, it will never get rid of them. I am not saying that your coin has milk spots, they might be a different kind of spot. I am just replying to what someone else called them, and it is a fact that coins with milk spots leave the mint with them. While I do not own any proof eagles, I do own a couple of proof Franklins, which I know to have milk spots.

The Eagle in my post is a quote from Buffalo Hunters post. I have 1 ½ sets of Proof Eagles and 3 ½ sets MS Eagles all graded None have spots. However I have seen some that do.

Perfectly normal? There is no such thing when it comes to toning, but yes, ASE’s can develop purple rim tone if stored in an album under the right conditions. As for the color moving inwards, maybe it will and maybe it won’t, and if it does it may not stay purple.

That’s the thing about toning, no one can predict if or exactly how a coin will tone. You could put three coins side by side into an album and after some time find that one coin toned wonderfully, another ugly, and the other may not have toned at all.

John

So are those "Anti-corrosion" pages sold by companies like Littleton Coin Company really effective or is it just marketing hype? I mean, if toning a "natural" phenomenon...

I’m not sure what "Anti-corrosion" pages that Littleton sells, but if you are referring to the products made by Intercept Shield, then yes, I do believe them to be effective in helping to keep coins from toning if used correctly and in conjunction with sound storage methods.

In other words, even if I were using an Intercept Shield product to protect my coins, I would not store them in a hot, humid, or damp area such as an attic or basement. To do so is just asking for a trouble.

John

I got tired of blank silver, about a year ago I put the birg in a brown materials envelope and set it on top of my monitor. First it turned all gold, then it went silver again. Go figure. Here's some pics from Feb 07, Mar 07, Apr 07:

IMGP4457_edited.jpg

IMGP4566_edited.jpg

IMGP4817_edited.jpg

One thing to keep in mind regarding intercept shield is that it has a finite lifetime. It isn't meant for archival (its surfaces will gradually lose effectiveness).