• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this doubling? 1824 Capped-Bust Half

10 posts in this topic

No. That is the way they are. Doubling usually would be most noticable on the obverse when you can see the outline of Ms Liberty twice. Or yu would see 2 eagle outlines on the reverse.

Nice informative post and link-MBA101!! It appears to me that the Eagle is doubled on the reverse as well-note the lower beak and neck-on the link not the sample. This truly shows how a doubling would appear. Thanks.

Still a nice coin Zach.

I just dug my collection out of my safe and a few, but not all, of mine appear to have this. I think it may be more an engraving issue than a strike issue but I’ve not read that anywhere. I’m purely guessing. Here is my 1824 that does have some doubling on the obverse:

1824.JPG

Yes of course it does. It was clearly purchased by someone with fantastic taste for original CBHs tongue.gif. My 1824 came from TomB. I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Nice photo JRocco, what camera are you using and what settings to get that clear closeup?

Hi Jim,

Thanks. This was taken with a Nikon CoolPix 4200 in macro mode. To be honest, when the coin is this well struck it is almost hard to take a bad pic of it.

1824-2-0pwing.jpg