• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spotting counterfeit Roman coins

14 posts in this topic

I picked up a denarius of Caracalla last year, at what seemed a really good price. I bought it at a dealer in downtown Seattle, the type of place one hopes is reputable. Only later did I then get to wondering why it was so cheap ($80 in very good condition; years back I spent more than triple that for one of Julian). How does one determine if an ancient coin is bogus? There's probably some straightforward way and I just need to learn it.

I was thinking of before I buy. My goal is to spot them before paying authentic money for them.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you can't tell the difference between an authentic and counterfeit coin, then either only buy REALLY CHEAP coins, or buy a book and do some research and learn how to tell the difference.

hm

If you can't tell the difference between an authentic and counterfeit coin, then either only buy REALLY CHEAP coins, or buy a book and do some research and learn how to tell the difference.

Wow. Thanks so much for that recommendation.

hi.gif If you realy want some roman bargins you have to look at the stuff listed in Germany on ebay which have come from the hords found in the easten bloc.. but expect to have to buy 1000+ at a time its the only way i have found to get coins which have not been picked through... i have had some stormers over the last few years

1752920-LastScan.jpg

1752920-LastScan.jpg.ac6552512a1c8d302855f06cc5237f23.jpg

• Administrator

I think I'd check out this book:

Classical Deception: Counterfeits, Forgeries and Reproductions of Ancient Coins

Taken from a post by another member here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...rue#Post1127442

It comes from his wider list of recommendations:

For Ancient coins, I've found the Sayles books to be fairly easy to read and if you enjoy history, there is a lot of it in the book.

* Ancient Coin Collecting

* Ancient Coin Collecting II: Numismatic Art of the Greek World

* Ancient Coin Collecting III: The Roman World-Politics and Propaganda

* Ancient Coin Collecting IV: Roman Provincial Coins (Ancient Coin Collecting)

* Ancient Coin Collecting V: The Romanion/Byzantine Culture

* Ancient Coin Collecting VI: Non-Classical Cultures

* Classical Deception: Counterfeits, Forgeries and Reproductions of Ancient Coins

just to warn you mate the Roman republic coinage book set is over 4ft thick so i would start building the shelfs now ! 27_laughing.gif

just to warn you mate the Roman republic coinage book set is over 4ft thick so i would start building the shelfs now ! 27_laughing.gif

Heh. Won't be a problem. I turned my basement into a library, so 4' of books would simply mean a little culling. I mainly want to learn to spot fakes and doctoring, though, so I'll start with the recommended reading and then examine my own few Roman coins with due trepidation.

Some of the Contemp fake coins are worth more than the real things

Would you like me to post some fakes i have detected over hear in the UK? thumbsup2.gif

Some of the Contemp fake coins are worth more than the real things

Would you like me to post some fakes i have detected over hear in the UK? thumbsup2.gif

I'd very much enjoy reviewing them, but only if it wouldn't put you to a lot of trouble.

• Administrator

Don't give him a break like that. He's dying to post them!

C'mon man! Toss 'em on up here!

wink.gif

wink.gif

tongue.gif