• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spots on this kennedy! How do I remove?

11 posts in this topic

I just found out about a week ago that the kennedy in my 64' proof set was an accented hair. So tonight I'm trying to look at it very closely thru the mint cello to see if I could tell if it was regular, cam, or dcam 893scratchchin-thumb.gif. No luck there. frown.gif What I did find are some spots tho' and am a little concerned about these. Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do about this? thanks! BTW, the other marks you see on the coin are on the cello.

1964kennedyAccHairObvblkbgrd.jpg

1964kennedyAccHairObvspot3.jpg1964kennedyAccHairObvspot2.jpg1964kennedyAccHairObvspot1.jpg

Nice looking Accented Hair...things like that are fun to find, doubles and even triples the value for just a marginal specimen.

Not knowing exactly what is going on with your proof Kennedy I would hesitate to recommend any sort of home remedy, things of this nature are best left up to experts. I would hate to see you mess up a nice addition to your collection.

Maybe there are braver people out there, but I'd be chicken to try out some chemicals on a proof as such. There's always professional conservation.

Bobby,

I would say either regular or CAM but can't tell for sure. I would lean towards not trying to remove those spots taking a risk of something happening you didn't intend. There is not much difference in value I don't think between PF 67 and PF 68 nor PF 67C and PF 68C. I believe most of the ones seen are either of these two grades, few higher.

Rey

They look like milk spotting similar to the one I had - This is usually not removeable - Is that color accurate on these spots, It maybe verdigris which should be attended to quickly - The cello may have been perpherated and let something in ... Open it up dude its no fun looking through cello ...

They look like milk spotting similar to the one I had - This is usually not removeable - Is that color accurate on these spots, It maybe verdigris which should be attended to quickly - The cello may have been perpherated and let something in ... Open it up dude its no fun looking through cello ...

No they are a lighter color.Probably milk spots like you said Mike. If they can't be removed then I don't think I'll mess with it. As for opening it up, then I ruin my proof set and would have to buy another one to put with my other sets. I may do this in the future just so I will still have a full set. It depends on if curiosity gets the better of me after awhile. 27_laughing.gif

Milk spots are called milk spots for a reason. They are white. These dots are brown which leads me to think it is some sort of surface corrosion going on.

Milk spots are called milk spots for a reason. They are white. These dots are brown which leads me to think it is some sort of surface corrosion going on.

That's the way they came out in the pics skyman. They are white.

That's the way they came out in the pics skyman. They are white.

Ah, in that case Bobby, you are out of luck. Milkspots do not come off.