• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on cracking some SGS slabs!

11 posts in this topic

I few months ago I bought a set of 1998s cent-half. They are in some SGS slabs(of course PF70). Not sure why I bought them but I did for $30. Any way, I'm thinking of cracking them to check the coins out better, there's some lint inside the slabs and just seeing what shape they are in. The only think I have to put them back into, would be some 2x2's. What would you do? Crack'em and put them in a 2x2? Wait til I can get something better to put them in? Or who cares what they go in , they are just SGS coins? 27_laughing.gif

The SGS coin slabs I am familiar with have tape on each end holding the slab closed. Do yours have the taped ends?

I didn't even pay attention!!! foreheadslap.gif Well that's not a problem anymore. Cut Tape, Take out Coin, Check Coin, Tape back! 27_laughing.gif

I once sent some to NGC for cross over foreheadslap.gif27_laughing.gif

I’m much smarter now grin.gif

The older slabs had the "Golden Seal" excussssssse me, adhesive tape holding the two halves together (not sonically sealed) so the clam shells are easy to open and close up again.

The newer slabs from SGS I have no idea about, by they have no external seal and appear to have the printed insert as oppsed to stick on like the older ones and they maybe sonicaly sealed.

Good luck...I bought the three SMS Jefferson Nickels about 8 years ago because they were some good strikes for a raw album. They were also graded SMS-70 I kinda laughed at that...they were more like 66, 67, and another 67-68ish. Nice coins, but no way could they ever transform into a 70!

Better off in a mud puddle than an SGS slab.

IMO low cost SGS coins are ok if you can hand pick the ones you want. thumbsup2.gif

These just had the gold seal at each end. I poped the lincoln. It actuall doesn't look too bad. Has one corrosion spot of course on the obv. Other than that, not other signs of marks. It had a little toning going on til I did a fast dip to see if the spot would come off. Now just shiny copper!

Better off in a mud puddle than an SGS slab.

IMO low cost SGS coins are ok if you can hand pick the ones you want. thumbsup2.gif

True dat. My point is, if an SGS slab arrives at my house, it gets cracked between the front door and the dining room, before I sit down, and I probably don't tell you guys about it. smile.gif