• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Fully Struck Toned SL Quarter

17 posts in this topic

That is an absolutely stunning example of artistic design and implementation. From design to finished product-it doesn't get any better. Lucky man.

That is one of the nicest Type I's I have ever seen!

Gorgeous!

Beautiful!

Extraordinary!

Remarkable!

and so very sexXxy!

That is one of the nicest Type I's I have ever seen!

Gorgeous!

Beautiful!

Extraordinary!

Remarkable!

and so very sexXxy!

Couldn't have said it better!!!!!!!!

hail.gif

YOWSAH, Ron, what they all said!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Actually, it may be considered strange given the noteriety of this coin, but for your example I really prefer how the reverse looks. The toning there is just perfect for highlighting the design elements.

No doubt. That one's hot. I love the LS quarter in any case, and one that old and that pretty is just seriously rare. Nice find.

Now I'm tempted to post the Barber dime I bought the other day. Not toned in that sense...but likely MS-63, with that warm faintly golden silver hue, absolutely perfect lustre. I am not sure I had ever seen any Barber dime quite that gorgeous before. I could blind a baseball batter with this thing on a sunny day.

Is it bad etiquette on here to come into another thread and drool a little bit over one's most recent buy? If so, I accept whatever slaparound I have coming.

Thanks for the nice compliments - Standing Liberty Quarters are my favorites. I used to have 4 complete Unc sets in LOC & Whitman albums - many are nicely album toned. Alas this one is no longer in my collection -

Very nice coin!

It's interesting that the 1917 Type-1 was the work of the Philadelphia Mint engravers imitating Hermon MacNeil's original obverse. The reverse with stars was invented by the mint and not part of MacNeil’s original design.

The sharpness is a result of the engravers touching up the hub and master die by hand, rather than allowing a reducing lathe to do everything. Compare sharpness to the 1917-Type-2 which was cut directly from MacNeil’s bronze casts and not retouched.