• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Update to 1857 FEC. Re-grade and value Please! HELLO

27 posts in this topic

This is that FEC I bought last weekend, $15.00 total price. I do see a little verdegris and looks like that coin has had some dipping done to it. What are your comments, grades, and value?? Thanks all!!

1857FECCentObvRev.jpg

I thought I would put a smaller pic with more attention to what the coin looks in hand. The large one does eat it alive, but this pic is what it really looks like in color with a very dull, but there is, luster/sheen/shine???

1857FECCentObvRev300pix.jpg

Victor be nice .. If its Bobby he ripped some one good smile.gif

heheheh

m

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif I wished better on this one. I still don't think a bad price but I think that it's been dipped too much to remove any more of that corrosion. confused-smiley-013.gif

I would say F-12 on the Grade. Dipping, don't know, verdigris I can see. I think the $15.00 was fine for it, have seen them at F-12 go for more. Just depends on the extent of the verdigris and dipping if there was some I would say.

Rey

I would say F-12 on the Grade. Dipping, don't know, verdigris I can see. I think the $15.00 was fine for it, have seen them at F-12 go for more. Just depends on the extent of the verdigris and dipping if there was some I would say.

Rey

The only reason I mentioned possible dipping Rey, is the close-up pic makes it look like it has been. The coin does seem to have some dull luster left to it. I thought that by the looks of where the verdegris is and isn't, that it may have been dipped? thanks rey

It doesn't look dipped to me, but I don't have it in-hand, either.

I jumped to this conclusion after taking the large pics Tom, but I think you're right. After a couple more glances under a good light, I don't think it's been dipped. It still has a little shine to it and I know a dip would've probaly taken that away. So just a little verdegis to deal with. I guess I'm gonna go with a F-12 on this.

More impressive than the coin... your photos!

Thank ya Bruce. I'm getting there. That's a very appreciative comment coming from you! hail.gif

This coin might benefit from an Acetone bath. There are some spots on the reverse in the large picture that concern me. They look like some PVC spots I've seen on silver coins. Am I the only one who has noticed this?

This coin might benefit from an Acetone bath. There are some spots on the reverse in the large picture that concern me. They look like some PVC spots I've seen on silver coins. Am I the only one who has noticed this?

No, I have seen all this on the coin. I really don't know if I want to bathe this or not. there's very little luster left to the coin and I'm afraid I'd take what's left completely away. confused-smiley-013.gif

No, I have seen all this on the coin. I really don't know if I want to bathe this or not. there's very little luster left to the coin and I'm afraid I'd take what's left completely away. confused-smiley-013.gif

I was under the impression that acetone would not harm the surface of a coin. Is this a misconception on my part?

Acetone should do nothing to the underlying metal on the coin, however, if there is PVC damage on the coin then acetone will remove the damaged area while at the same time it will expose the underlying, untoned metal. This would make the coin look like a leopard and would not be attractive. If you are concerned about the green spots then you may be much better off in this case using mineral oil.

I'm not really concerned that much with it Tom. I do wonder tho' if it will keep spreading and eventially eat the coin alive? What does mineral oil do and what would be the process without hurting the coin?

I went back and viewed the sellers pics and they were really well done...it looked liked a very nice Flying Eagle, especially for the $15 (total) auction price you paid. Now that I see your depictions, you still scored, but not quite a rip.

It has some problems, but it is still a nice representative of this series. Well done photos in auctions can either enhance marginal coins or dazzle those real gems.

You still did good with the price paid.

To tell you the truth, if it were my coin I likely would not do anything to it. I realize that some might not agree with that approach, but I think the coin will change little over time.

To tell you the truth, if it were my coin I likely would not do anything to it. I realize that some might not agree with that approach, but I think the coin will change little over time.

Me either .. Classic Look to a classic Coin

Thanks Tom & Mike. That was my first impression and I think I'll stick with leabing it alone. I like the cent and don't really want to ruin it. Thanks again!