• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tarnished George Washington Dollar Coin

2 posts in this topic

I was going through a roll of new Denver George Washington Dollar coins, when I noticed that one coin looked very tarnished on both sides, but not around the edge. I have heard that the US Mint has taken some steps to try and prevent tarnishing on the new dollar coins, which is why I was so suprised to see one amoung all my other shiny dollar coins. Has anyone seen or heard of this before?

1748025-IMAGE_095.jpg.6da00efd33401a0d8d716779e14e4cda.jpg

• Administrator

NGC has recognized some discolored (dark) Presidential $1 Coins as Improperly Annealed Planchet Mint Errors. I am told that this occurs when the coins are overheated during the burnishing process.

It is possible that your coin is an error of this type, however, your coin may have become toned by some other means. Our error attributors are able to distinguish the types of discoloration.