• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Britannia Coins

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone know where I can purchase graded Britannias? I have been watching ebay for a month now and have not noticed any. These coins does not seem to be too popular but I really enjoy the designs of them and would like to work on putting a nice set together. I prefer to buy slabbed coins.

There are a number of Britannia threads here that discuss this. Do a search or just browse the thread list.

Generally it seems that there are very few TPG graded Britannias and that there doesn't seem to be enough demand to generate prices high enough to make it interesting to get these slabbed. The other problem is that it seems many Britannias are not shipped well so it is difficult to get them in high grades even when they are slabbed.

Michael (pendragon1998) has been collecting and selling slabbed versions for some time and can provide a more detailed answer.

Zoins makes the main points.

I've been watching eBay since October/November and I've rarely seen any higher-grade slabbed 68-69 britannias come up for sale. When they do, you must be willing to pay for them, as the collectors are out there (just not a lot of us) and are willing to compete with you. You might contact gmarguli on the boards here - he has had a number of MS69 examples for a few dates in the past, but he doesn't plan on submitting any more. I've sold my extra slabbed coins, but I do have a 2003 PCGS MS66 and a 1999 PCGS MS68, each with a small chip on one corner of the slab. The chips don't compromise the slab, but you could get them reholdered pretty cheap if it bothered you. If you're interested in one of those, PM me and I'll reply on Monday (I'm going out of town this morning).

I'm trying to create a MS69 set, but it's beginning to look like I'm going to have to buy raw (and buy many) to find the coins myself and then eventually submit them myself if I want them slabbed. I missed gmarguli's last 2003 NGC MS69 right when I started collecting them (I bought 4 other dates from him) and I've been kicking myself for 6 months because I only later realized how rare it is to find a slabbed '03.

I just received my copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins 1901-2000 and the prices for 1997-2000 are there for MS and PF coins. For later years, you will need the 2000-2007 catalog (which I did not purchase).

Scott hi.gif