• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are these Dirhams?

11 posts in this topic

My son bought these as a framed set for me as agift. I was wondering if anyone could give me an Idea of what they are as in year, denomination, and metal type. Thanks!

50dirhams.jpg

largecopper.jpg

smallcopper.jpg

25dirhams-1.jpg

coinframe.jpg

Thanks Rey, I did find these but really does'nt give much info on the dates, copper coins or the metal content of the silver coins. Would be interesting to know.

What's the approximate size? They look to be honkin coins, if I am picturing the size of the frame correctly. I'm thinking approximately 12 X 20 on the frame?

What's the approximate size? They look to be honkin coins, if I am picturing the size of the frame correctly. I'm thinking approximately 12 X 20 on the frame?

From the first one and down chad:

#1 - Size of Qtr.

#2 - Just a little under the size of a half

#3 - Between the size of a nickel & Qtr

#4 - Between a nickel & a dime.

The frame is more like 8"x6".

First coin - 50 Dirhams CuNI - dated 2003/AH1424

Second coin - 10 Dirhams Bronze - dated 1973/AH1393

Third coin - 5 Dirhams Bronze - dated 1978/AH1398

Fourth coin - 25 Dirhams CuNi - dated 2006/AH1427

Both dates are on the reverse of each coin in the above order.

I'd think they'd all be 21st century coins. Easy to find BU examples that way. Were the 1973 and 1978 dates extremely common or something to make them used instead of more modern coins?

Thank-you very much Farthing. I would presume that the 03' & 06' are still in use, but would the 70's still be in use today?

I don't know if the older coins are still in use but the 5 Dirhams were only minted in '73 and '78 while the 10 Dirhams were only minted in '72 and '73. The 25 and 50 Dirhams were still being minted when the set was created.

There was also a 1 Dirham, minted only in '73

I don't know if the older coins are still in use but the 5 Dirhams were only minted in '73 and '78 while the 10 Dirhams were only minted in '72 and '73. The 25 and 50 Dirhams were still being minted when the set was created.

There was also a 1 Dirham, minted only in '73

I haven't opened the frame but I would be likely to think that since I have 2 ea of all four coins. I'm thinking that I may have each year of the bronze coins. The back is sealed and I can't open it without tearing the cardboard off the back. Don't think I'll do that.