• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What grade and value on the half cent

6 posts in this topic

Here is a photo of a half cent I recently purchased, what grade and value would you place on the coin from the photos supplied? Thanks.

1828obvrev.jpg

This 1828 half cent is Cohen variety #1. Cohen said that the variety was an R-3 and that it is the scarcest of three varieties known for the year. Despite that, only 12 star variety brings a premium.

It has VF sharpness, but it appears that the surfaces have been cleaned and are perhaps a bit porous. The coin might look better in person. From what I can see the piece probably has a wholesale value of $35 or so. The Gray Sheet says that these coins are worth at least $40 in Good, but since VF coins are only bid at $55, I think you have a hard time getting $40 or more for it.

Variety collectors generally would want a better example since this variety can be found in nice condition without a lot of heavy lifting.

Sorry I can't be more positive, but that's what I see in the picture.

I would venture to say EF-40. 1828 13 stars $85.00-$100.00 perhaps. The 12 star variety would be higher from VF and above.

Nice coin. thumbsup2.gif

Rey

VF20 EAC, but tough to tell without the coin in-hand. Doesn't look plagued with verdigris or other growths. Are the surfaces non-porous? If so, then the coin would likely grade EF40 by market standards.

Hoot