• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vam 1x - Where did it start?

4 posts in this topic

I have had a coin for a while that was horribly cleaned, however, I have always wondered about it and whether it was an early die state of the famous VAM1x 1921-d.

What say you? Note the crack locations on the coin compared to the real 1x cud. Sorry about the lousy photos, I did them in a hurry. I have noticed my coin does not have any sign of the crack near the date on the real 1x. Could it have started later, or is this just a coincidence cud....

The Original VAM1x

1x.jpg

My Coin

pos1x1.jpg

pos1x2.jpg

pos1x3.jpg

pos1x4.jpg

MM 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It doesn't appear to be from the same die. Notice that the break on your coin extends almost to the second star to the left of the "E". On the original, it only extends as far as the first star.

Chris

I had some serious doubts just because of the lack of a crack at the date. I wish I could find the person that decided this coin needed brightening, because it is still an interesting piece. makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

MM cool.gif