• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?

24 posts in this topic

As many of you know I am working on a high grade Washington Quarter set. Well as of now this set is 6 coins away and a few upgrades. Anyhow The set is sitting in a capitol plastic holder (2 of them). Anyhow I am thinking of moving them to an album, such as a Watye Raymond or my classic Whitman Album. One of the main drawbacks to the Capitol plastics holders is getting them open. What would you do? Change them to an album? Leave them as is? Slab them? (No I will not be slabbing them, but I am asking for your opinions) Your thoughts??

qsf1.jpg

Here is a list of the coins and grades for those who are interested... (My Own grades)

1932 MS65

1932-D AU55

1934 MS66

1934-D MS64

1935 MS66

1935-S MS65 (Reverse Coin)

1935-S MS65

1936 MS65

1936-S MS64

1937 MS66

1937-D MS65

1938 MS65

1938-S MS66

1939 MS65

1939-D MS66

1940 MS66

1940-S MS65

1941 MS66

1941-D MS65

1941-S MS65

1942 MS65

1942-D MS66

1942-S MS65

1943 MS66

1943-D MS65

1943-S MS66

1944 MS65

1944-D MS66

1944-S MS66

1945 MS65

1945-D MS65

1945-S MS65

1946 MS65

1946-D MS66

1946-S MS66

1947 MS66

1947-D MS65

1947-S MS65

1948 MS64

1948-D MS66

1948-S MS66

1949 MS65

1949D MS65

1950 MS65

1950-D MS66

1950-S MS66

1951 MS65

1951-D MS65

1951-S MS66

1952 MS65

1952-D MS66

1952-S MS66

1953 MS65

1953-D MS65

1953-S MS65

1954 MS66

1954-D MS66

1954-S MS66

1955 MS65

1955-D MS65

1956 MS66

1956-D MS64

1957 MS65

1957-D MS65

1958 MS66

1958-D MS65

1959 MS65

1959-D MS65

1960 MS65

1960-D MS65

1961 MS66

1961-D MS65

1962 MS65

1962-D MS65

1963 MS66

1963-D MS66

1964 MS66

1964-D MS64

How often do you open it? The nice thing about Capital Plastics holders is that they can be used for display as is. I think your quarters look great in it. You can just have the CP out and enjoy it even in passing whereas you need to make an effort to retrieve and open an album to see those coins.

I try not to open it often as it is a pain in the.... The coins also move just a tad, like a rattler slab. As for a display. I have a wall hanger for that. I would not want to leave these laying around.

they look great in the capital plastics

unfortunately by repeated openings and closings of the capital plastics hurts the holder and makes it more loose and worn out

again unfortunately you got to get a new capital plastics holder and do not put the coins into it until you got a full complete set of the final coins you want to put into the set

and of cpurse this is hard fior set collectors as it is always a work in progress

so i would take all of the coins out of the capital plastic holder and put them all in airtights and then in an album

or just put the coins in a good quality album

I agree, keep them in airtite/holder album and when COMPLETELY finished place in a capital plastic holder which is absolutely beautiful for permanent storage and for display. What a beautiful set. Congratulations.

Those coins look too white in general. I would put them in any album that would allow them to develop color over time. grin.gif

I think I would albumize also until you get the complete set. By that time, depending on how fast you try to complete it, these may get a little NT and make them look really nice.

Always asking a question like that is like asking which car is better. Everyone has a slightly different opinion. My suggestion is Album them. I have several sets of Washington Quarters with each set progressively in better grades. I prefer the Whitman Classic Albums due to several reasons. For one thing a Silver coin looks more impressive in a blue background. Then there is the simplicity of seeing all coins by a flip of a page front and back in one easy to handle album. The Whitman Classic Albums can have pages added easily if required. All mine start at 32 and go all the way to 98. I didn't want to contaminate the set with the state ones. Whitman items appear to be more available in the Mid West than Dansco so from where I am that is the way to go. As to any album contamination, just improper storage comments. I have well over 50 Whitman Albums and never a problem with any toning, staining, corroding, etc. However, the better of each are stored in a plastic freezer zip lock type bag. My house is equiped with a few dehumidifiers which is also better for my health and all the coins.

As to opening any slabs I use a saber saw. Cut off the edges, save any written items, place plastic in recycle bins, place coin in album where I can appreciate them without handling tons of plastic.

Well, since I have some experience with this set, I guess I will add my thoughts. wink.gif Many of these coins were originally in a Whitman Classic holder, but the thought of inadvertantly introducing hairlines onto pieces upon repeated opening of the slides made me choose the Capitol Plastics option. Repeated opening of the Capitol Plastics holder will not harm the holder, unless you have know clue as to how to open one of these in the first place, but is a pain in the butt as far as all the screws are concerned. My solution was to simply screw in only four screws and to only partially screw them into place. The remainder of the screws were kept safely in a Ziploc bag until I needed them. I also kept the sets flat at all times and moved them gently. This worked beautifully, and if I were to start a set like this again I would attempt to duplicate the holder and display option.

I think I would albumize also until you get the complete set. By that time, depending on how fast you try to complete it, these may get a little NT and make them look really nice.
If you put coins in albums to intentionally tone the coins, many consider this AT wink.gif

If you put coins in albums to intentionally tone the coins, many consider this AT wink.gif

Yes! AT or NT is all about intent. Two identical white coins can be placed in identical albums by two different collectors, one with the intent of toning the coin and the other simply wanting a nice way to build a set. If the two coins tone identically, one will be AT and one will be NT.

This is the precise reason the reputable TPGs have hired a group of psychics to examine every toned coin before it is graded. Unfortunately, divination is not an exact science like grading and an occasional AT coin will slip through.

As far as the set goes, I would rather have it in an album. The album would be a bit easier to fit into a safe deposit box. If you wait until the set is complete before putting it into the album to minimize the risk of getting slide marks on the coins. The album also gives the posibility of toning the coins, though you should clear your mind of this thought while placing the coins or you will risk a lot of AT bodybags if you ever decide to get them slabbed.

The problem with AT and NT is that I have yet to see anyone come up with good definitions. At the end of the say, it really is about "market acceptability" IMO.

Intentionally placing coins in high sulfur albums is market acceptable but retrieving a coin from a natural, unintentional fire may not be. Market acceptability folks.

To me it is not a question of weather they would be AT or NT. I am just seeking opinions on this matter. As per what TomB says, the coins should remain flat, which in my case they do. I rarely move them and I am carefull about it. Personally there are quite a few album toned coins that are shall we say "blah". Not all toning is good toning. I have a few quarters sitting in a Wayte Raymond page to see how they would turn out. Some are pretty, while others are not near as pretty looking. Almost all were put in at the same time. Blue is the way to go weather it be this holder or an album. It looks very nice like so. For now they will stay where they are at. More opinions would be good.

Go with a nice Dansco. Then put them back into the Capital Plastics holder when the set is 100% finished. I put a partial set of buffalo nickels in one of these holders... Worst mistake ever. They STINK for collections in progress.

I would start slabbing them so true profit potential can be estimated. A few of them have some balck toning and look like they need a dip. So those need to be dipped before sending off to the TPG.

A dealer acquaintance of mine bought a super collection like this a couple years ago of Wash Qtrs that walked into his shop probably at 10c on the Dollar. He dipped a few that needed to be dipped and then sent the whole shebang to TTR raw coins service and made a bundle.

By slabbing them you can compute the total value of your portfolio and compare pop rarity on specific dates. I have done something similar with my inventory of PCGS coins with their collection manager. It not only fills in the proper retail pricing, but pop numbers as well.

Albums? A throwback to the 1960's. Send them to the trash can. The only thing that should be kept in albums are circ state quarters.....Plus putting stuff in albums causes you to spend more money as you buy up the common dates to fill the holes - big mistake!. Buy just the key dates like I do, the best quality you can afford. I have been doing this for years. When the collector comes up to my table asking a price on a key date I ask all the money - if he balks at the price I will say "well why you don't you go find one then." Usually they come back and buy the coin realizing that is probably the only one they will find at that show.

This set of coins to me is not about Maximizing my profit. This collection is for my enjoyment. If I wanted to Maximize my profit I would have had them slabbed from the get go. I like raw coins, and thus that is how they will stay.

I like the Capitol holder. It may be a pain but so are the plastic slides in the books. The books are fine for circulated coins and do look nice with Unc coins in them. However you have to be very careful with the slides.

I have often thought about other display options. I would like to let these coins live raw for as long as I own them, which should be the rest of my life if things go right. This set is a keeper! If anybody thinks this set can be put together fairly easy, GOOD LUCK! Finding attractive quarters has become increasingly tough raw or in slabs for that matter. Once this first set is complete to my liking I will start on a 2nd set, which will also be raw. I lower MS set with some coins that may be AU 55 or 58. I will also work on a VF 20 set, which nice original looking coins. 3 Sets of Washington Quarters should be a fun task to work on. smile.gif As it sits right now, my 2nd set is coming along quite nice. I just picked up a 1948 D for it. MS 64 or so. I have yet to start the easy set which is the Circ VF 20 set. Now I am after original looking coins to give it more of a challange.