• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions Wanted on the Toned 1964 Lincoln

I Believe This Coin Is:  

126 members have voted

1. 1. I Believe This Coin Is:

18 posts in this topic

1964-1c-raw.jpg

The picture doesn't capture the color as best it could. The lighter red part of this coin is very vibrant fiery orange - not your typical red color. The [/i]darker part[/i] is a nice lavender on the obverse and with a little more blueish tint mixed in the lavender on the reverse.

Focus on the coin only, not outside factors. I'd like your honest opinions on the following questions.

I like it a lot and would pay a healthy premium for it. In fact, I'm looking for such a coin (date and color) and would offer about $100. for it depending on the slab/grade.

Market Acceptable, "No" and "No" were my answers. To me, it's a ten dollar coin no matter who, no matter what, no matter why and no matter when. It's a plentiful coin that to me looks ridiculous in a slab.

Market Acceptable, "No" and "No" were my answers. To me, it's a ten dollar coin no matter who, no matter what, no matter why and no matter when. It's a plentiful coin that to me looks ridiculous in a slab.
Wow, that's pretty harsh and a wee bit insulting. confused.gif

I wasn't trying to be harsh or insulting! I just think it could be a cheap coin in an expensive slab.

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't the coin be worth more (preferably MUCH more) than the holder?

Honestly, if I were soliciting an offer from you, and the coin was in a 2x2 flip, what would you offer me for it?

The coin is in a PCGS slab graded PF68 RED (yeah, Red screwy.gif)

I find it interesting that 17 of 31 people who responded would pay a premium for this toning, but only half of them would pay that premium if it were in a slab. Does anyone think that perhaps if people did any experimentation with coins - as I have strongly suggested - this number would be much different? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I find it interesting that 17 of 31 people who responded would pay a premium for this toning, but only half of them would pay that premium if it were in a slab. Does anyone think that perhaps if people did any experimentation with coins - as I have strongly suggested - this number would be much different? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I do. If one likes art toners and has the time/inclination, I'm a big proponent of learning to make them yourself instead of buying them slabbed. Maybe selling them slabbed wink.gif

I wasn't trying to be harsh or insulting! I just think it could be a cheap coin in an expensive slab.

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't the coin be worth more (preferably MUCH more) than the holder?

Honestly, if I were soliciting an offer from you, and the coin was in a 2x2 flip, what would you offer me for it?

There is no crying in baseball and there are no rules as to what an informed collector should choose to collect.

(And here I had a roll of 1943 copper cents I was going to sell you at face. . .)

There is no crying in baseball and there are no rules as to what an informed collector should choose to collect.

(And here I had a roll of 1943 copper cents I was going to sell you at face. . .)

Well, if you can get those 1943 coppers all shined up and blue-like, I'll give ya double face - copper's up smile.gif!

I do. If one likes art toners and has the time/inclination, I'm a big proponent of learning to make them yourself instead of buying them slabbed. Maybe selling them slabbed wink.gif

Just to be clear, I never said the coin was AT (or NT for that matter). I just asked if the numbers would be different if people had experimented with coins.

Just to be clear, I never said the coin was AT (or NT for that matter). I just asked if the numbers would be different if people had experimented with coins.
There is also the scenario where people (a) like the color, (b) have experimented with coins, © found they could not reproduce the color and (d) wanted to coin badly, such that they may be willing to pay more than collectors who have not experimented with coins and may not realize how difficult it can be to achieve (AT or NT). In this case, the numbers would also be different.

The nature of the toning is inconsequential due to the limited-read low-monetary value of the coin. The toning is not unique enough to warrant a huge premium. Would I blow $50-75 on it? Perhaps if I needed it for a number in my registry set. Would I pay $10 for it raw? No, as I could make make one with a similiar look.

The nature of the toning is inconsequential due to the limited-read low-monetary value of the coin. The toning is not unique enough to warrant a huge premium. Would I blow $50-75 on it? Perhaps if I needed it for a number in my registry set. Would I pay $10 for it raw? No, as I could make make one with a similiar look.

Yes, but could you do so well enough to fool the graders at PCGS (or, NGC for that matter)?

I like the coin. I like it in a PCGS PR68 "RED" holder. I like it enough to now own it.

could you do so well enough to fool the graders at PCGS (or, NGC for that matter)?
I would rephrase this as "could you do so well to be considered market acceptable at PCGS or NGC?" Who says they are necessarily being fooled (if it is AT)?

Yes, but could you do so well enough to fool the graders at PCGS (or, NGC for that matter)?

I like the coin. I like it in a PCGS PR68 "RED" holder. I like it enough to now own it.

Thats why I would pay a little more to have it already slabbed. After I figure in all the time and effort involved I would already have $50 invested. Why not just buy it already slabbed?

AT "No" and "No" were my answers. To me, it's a 3 dollar coin no matter who, no matter what, no matter why and no matter when. It's a plentiful coin that to me looks ridiculous in a slab.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

The nature of the toning is inconsequential due to the limited-read low-monetary value of the coin. The toning is not unique enough to warrant a huge premium. Would I blow $50-75 on it? NO WAY!!!!!!!

Would I pay $4 for it raw? NO!!!!!

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif