• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does it make sense to have an original coins club?

13 posts in this topic

EACers seem to sell coins amongst themselves and their sales are closed to outsiders. Given that many classic coins are being conserved to the chagrin of some collectors/dealers, would it make sense to create a club of like-minded collectors/dealers that can sell the coins among like-minded collectors/dealers to preserve these coins through the current market that seems to like removing original surfaces?

GREAT IDEA.... CAPITAL IDEA!!! ..... AN IDEA WHOSE TIME HAS COME

....Del R. Darkener

grin.gif

Seriously, it is something to be striven (strove ?) for. A lot of coins are getting pretty silly looking. I doubt a club would do much. Too many individual preferences.

The "club" will be rewarded sometime in the future when the strippos become unsalable.

There are a lot of great threads on originality but they tend to get lost over time. Would a website with a few articles and FAQs help collectors learn about and to appreciate original surfaces? The website could also have links to dealers known to preserve and appreciate originality.

it is something to be striven (strove ?) for.

Language 101

"... is something to strive for ... "

grin.gif

sure cloud9.gif

unfortunately the people that understand let alone appreciate and demand/collect such originality are as scarce if not even moreso as the coins themselves

EACers seem to sell coins amongst themselves and their sales are closed to outsiders. Given that many classic coins are being conserved to the chagrin of some collectors/dealers, would it make sense to create a club of like-minded collectors/dealers that can sell the coins among like-minded collectors/dealers to preserve these coins through the current market that seems to like removing original surfaces?

Not until some sort of irrefutable "litmus test" is invented that gives 100% confidence in "originality" of every possible coin situation.

By the way, EAC sales are not closed to outsiders. All you have to do is have an EACer invite you to the sale.

Not until some sort of irrefutable "litmus test" is invented that gives 100% confidence in "originality" of every possible coin situation.

Exactly, and this is an impossibility in my opinion because short of having spent every second with a coin since the time it falls from the die there is no way to know with 100% accuracy if a coin is original or not. Yes, we may be able to come to a conclusion at a level of accuracy we are comfortable with based upon what we think we know about the coin, but this is not 100% accuracy.

I am sure there are many coins that are owned by collectors of ‘original’ coins that are not quite as original as they may seem. Why do you really think it is that discussions about coin doctors and dipping get so heated? Look, in a perfect world there would be no coin doctors. No one would ever do anything to change a coins surface, and all coins would be original, but guess what we don’t live in a perfect world, never have.

From the time of the first coin, people have been messing with them. This should come as no surprise. No one should be shocked to know this, especially not coin collectors. This is the first lesson in coin collecting 101. Collectors need to start off with their eyes wide open and with the knowledge that any coin they buy may not be 100% what it seems.

Frankly, this whole back and forth about ‘originality’ is blown way out of proportion in my opinion. It causes some collectors to buy coins that maybe they shouldn’t and not buy some coins that they should. I’m sorry, but I’m just not going to buy some dog of a coin with ugly, dirty toning just because I think it may have a better chance of being ‘original’, and I’m also not going to pass up a wonderful white coin that drips luster because I’m afraid it may have been dipped. The same goes for toned coins. So long as the toning is consistent with what is commonly seen on the issue and I like it, I’ll buy it and if I don’t like it, I won’t buy it, end of story.

Look, I’m not condoning what some people do to coins, but I am smart enough to know it is being done, and has been for a long, long time, and I’m certainly not going to let anyone else’s opinion on what is or is not ‘original’ keep me from buying nice eye appealing coins be they white or toned.

John

goggle.gif

Handed out at the door, two charter members wearing special "original surface" detector glasses.

Although the "concept" makes sense, practicality is beyond normal means.

Keep thinking...one of our greatest thinkers slept in a roll top desk.