• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC's Variety Guide

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Recently added to the NGC website is its publication A Guide to Understanding and Using NGC's VarietyPlus Service. This book describes the NGC variety recognition program in detail, listing which classes of varieties NGC will designate. Also included is a study of variety collecting by denominations. For the early series, 1793-1838, all varieties are listed by their relative rarity.

If you have any questions about whether a particular variety is covered under NGC's VarietyPlus service, the answer will likely be in this book. See it online at:

http://www.ngccoin.com/pdf/ngc_variety_guide_7_17_02.pdf

For all modern coins, NGC will attribute those varieties that are included within the Red Book or the Cherrypickers' Guide.

Good booklet I am going to print it up and read it more carefully. Just one question why are you only attributing varieties that are included within the Red Book or the Cherrypickers' Guide? Where in the intoductions to each series you have more specilsed book for each type listed as a resourse? CHRIS

Last year one company asked me what I thought were the most popular varieties of the Jefferson series. I thought this was odd since there were much more knowledgeable people out there who have written books on the subject matter. And I told them this and the list I gave them came from a cherrypickers guide by Bill Fivas, NLG and JT Stanton. They also said that the variety must have at least a population of 5 or more (whatever that meant) before they would recognize that variety and slabbed it. This also strucked me odd because what if the variety was rare and had only 2 known, shouldn't it be certified as well?

Leo

my computer cant seem to load this book and i cant see it

my computer is really old

this to me and others i know is an important item is it possible to mail me a copy??? and i can make copies of it for other collectors?

sincerely michael

Michael,

The hardcopy variety book was sent to all NGC dealers and Collectors Society members last fall. If you didn't receive one, call Danielle in Customer Service, and she can probably send it to you. She's out this week but will be back on Monday.

In reply to chrisfuccione's question, here's the answer I gave on another thread:

The reason for limiting variety attribution to reliable and well distributed references is that this enables everyone to know exactly what it is we've certified. There are countless varieties of no particular value. While many of these have appeared in one book or another at some time, such books are often little known and may never be updated or kept in print.

As for uncataloged varieties, it's irresponsible to label these simply as DDO or RPD without defining exactly which die pairing is represented. That can't be done until they are illustrated and numbered without any ambiguity. Breen lumped multiple die pairings under a single number, and that's why we won't recognize his numbers.

• Administrator

You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read the file. You can download it free from the Adobe site

However, michael, if you want a hard copy sent out to you, just pm me with your address. I think I have a copy I can spare.

Dave I printed it p today and it was a great read. The only problem i had was trying to find paper with holes pre punched in them so I could store it in a notebook. It leads me to another question. Has anyone ever tried to compile a list of all the varieties and all the number assigned to them in one book? CHRIS

thanks david lange!! i will call and ask for a book!

important for me and really important for some of my friends

i think davids response was a good one and totally correct!