• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned Nickels - Show 'Em Off

71 posts in this topic

Thank you Mike,

I have taken at least 100 + images of it and this one turned out the best. I kept getting glare of the slab which made it look cloudy or dark edges from the thick slab insert. The coin is a little lighter in hand. It looks juiced but it isn’t.

smile.gif

As I said in another thread, I am new to all this. So please don't fall off your chairs laughing when I ask... takeit.gif

Seeing as how you are new, we've stayed seated

Are toned coins worth more or less?

Depends on what they look like - the several toned ones that I've posted in this thread are coins that I paid WAY over greysheet money for the grade - I think they are very attractive and they have great eye-appeal - Hence worth More to me and I'll pay a premium. Coins that are unattractivley toned are worth less than bid - but that's only MY opinion. Coins that are toned and not unattractive commend slight premiums - There are a number of coins posted in this thread that I would be happy to own! cool.gif

And the thing I hate to ask even more, but I don't know the answer, so I will...

Are you doing something to those coins to make those tones?

(They are beautiful at the very least.)

IMO - Virtually every coin posted in this thread is a naturally toned coin, although there is one that I think is suspect confused.gif - BUT, it could be how the image was "photoshopped" and the coin could be perfectly fine.

I am guessing "naturally toned" coins are more valuable and tones that people have done are... less?? tongue.gif

Attractive Eye-appealing toned coins are worth more - unattractive toned coins may be so unattractive that you can't even get bid for them, coins with toning that has been added are curiosities that I would only buy as samples of the work of coin doctors so as to know what NOT to buy -