• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Pitt Token

12 posts in this topic

This token is great in that it commemorates William Pitt (the elder), is copper (which is a wonderful thing to be!), and, it is silvered. Well, you can only see remnants of the silver, but it is certainly a pleasure to look at.

PCGS has only certified 8 silvered William Pitt tokens.

NCG only three.

The engraver purportedly is James Smither, and while he indeed did live in the States, it is uncertain if the tokens were minted in England or America. The portrait of Pitt is also allegedly sketched by Paul Revere.

There are other Pitt medals made by other engravers who resided in London as well, and Louis Jordan considers the fact that London based Merchants who supported free trade with America (the ship going TOWARDS America, supposedly designated on the medal by virtue of the direction the flags are waving), were responsible for the medal being made in England, rather than America.

I'm not clear on whether 'The Friends of Liberty and Trade' were an organization based in England or New York or both (all I've been able to determine so far is that they later collaborated with another organization, The Son's of Liberty, against the duty on tea.

The token was also allegedly minted in commmemoration of William Pitt's role in repealing The Stamp Act, and the obverse, which shows his portrait, has the wording: THE RESTORER OF COMMERCE 1766 and NO STAMPS.

On the reverse is a sailing ship with the word AMERICA written accross its bow. Also present is the legend: THANKS TO THE FRIENDS OF LIBERTY AND TRADE.

There were basically two sizes for the Pitt token, the small one (rare), sometimes referred to as the farthing (but likely should not be called a 'farthing', as it's weight is not proportionally such compared to its 'half-penny' couterpart, the large one). The large one or half-penny (sic) weighs in at apx 85+ grains (not likely meant to be a real half-penny because the George III copper half pennies weighed apx. 153 grains).

The large Pitt Token was often coated in Tin or Silver, and is believed to have circulated as money since so many of them are found worn.

1736970-pittobverse.JPG

1736974-pittreverse.JPG

The large Pitt Token was often coated in Tin or Silver, and is believed to have circulated as money since so many of them are found worn.

Most Vernon medals (a couple of decades earlier) also show copious wear, but I don't think anyone would say those circulated as money. Both were probably popular medals which acted as pocket pieces. Calling them coins or tokens is just probably due to tradition and listing them as such. But the Pitt, Vernon, and the Rhode Island pieces are all medals. See what JK at the PCGS forums would say about the Pitt tokens.

I find it interesting at how the lettering format was done.

"THE RESTOREr OF COMMERCE"

I guess that the die sinker made a SNAFU on that. blush.gif

+++The ship design on the reverse is alluring and draws in the beholder.

+++The obverse certainly seems to be a political token.

+++It's rarity is a big bonus!

Is this yours, Mike?

ebay offers one holed in auction#260082020503--seems a might weighty!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...020503&rd=1

...during that time...this as a statement against Britain and the Kings Stamp Act against the colonies!! William Pitt was dearly loved by Early Americans due to his fight to have the harsh and unfair Stamp Act repealed even though he was a High Ranking British Whig and it was basically putting his life on the line!! Ultimately he was successful along with Americas shout of opposition and it was canceled!! It was the Stamp Act that lead the Americans to form the Famous Sons Of Liberty and started our Great American Revolution!! It was also the reason behind Patrick Henry's catch phrase, "No Taxation Without Representation"!!! This Coin was there and saw it all!!! A True Rare piece of Early American History!!!

ebay offers one holed in auction#260082020503--seems a might weighty!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...020503&rd=1

...during that time...this as a statement against Britain and the Kings Stamp Act against the colonies!! William Pitt was dearly loved by Early Americans due to his fight to have the harsh and unfair Stamp Act repealed even though he was a High Ranking British Whig and it was basically putting his life on the line!! Ultimately he was successful along with Americas shout of opposition and it was canceled!! It was the Stamp Act that lead the Americans to form the Famous Sons Of Liberty and started our Great American Revolution!! It was also the reason behind Patrick Henry's catch phrase, "No Taxation Without Representation"!!! This Coin was there and saw it all!!! A True Rare piece of Early American History!!!

If his history is correct, I thank you for linking this so I finally see how the Sons Of Liberty came about, if it's correct.

These tokens or medals whatever you want to call them come up in auction fairly frequently, and I think Anaconda has one on his site, maybe coinrarities online also, but their not silvered.

Superb piece Mike! thumbsup2.gif A great piece of history and one wild pair of artistic renderings! The profile of Pitt has always reminded me of a cartoon character, and the reverse, with such asymmetry of devices, is a bit of a helter-skelter dreamscape. smile.gif Great acquisition!

Hoot