• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Buffalo has lived in my collection for over 40 years! Story Told!

25 posts in this topic

Hi, Everyone

The 1913-S Type 1 Buffalo 5 Cent coin in this tread was "bought" by a teenager me over 40 years ago. There is a nice story that goes with it that I will relate to all shortly but first, can you guess this coin's secret? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1913st1bo.jpg

1913st1br.jpg

AAJ

You swallowed it?

He said NICE STORY ... you buffoon

Looks like a Backyard find - A Train track Survivor - Ammo for a wrist rocket

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I thinks that is the "buffalo sat on a spear variety" seriously something going on there in e pluribus unum and on buffalo's rear end popcorn.gif

There's something strange about the rim on that coin.

The fields look too smooth.

The Denomination looks too clean.

.............I don't know.

Pete

There's something strange about the rim on that coin.

Pete

Hi, Buffalo_Pete

You are getting warmer! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't know why the red x is showing up I see the two pictures fine with AOL.

AAJ

It looks like a wire rim. The coin was probably struck under too much pressure and some of the metal was squeezed up.

Hi, All

This coin was in jewelry, the edges still have some solder on it as well as the area by the E Pluribus Unum. smile.gif

I acquired this Buffalo Nickel over 40 years ago from a Coin Shop owner named Fred Coops. He was a legendary numismatist here in SO.CAL for decades. He was about 5' 4" in height but to me he was 10 feet tall. As a teenage numismatist I looked up to him even thought I was 6' 1" at fifteen. Every chance I had I was at his shop learning about my hobby. If I was not there I was hanging out at Nona Moore's coin shop, my numismatic mother. One summer afternoon as Fred was looking over some coin jewelry that he had bought that day, you know coins that have been soldered to objects to make jewelry. This coin was soldered to a belt bucket with a silver dollar and some other coins around it.

I had been putting together a set of Buffalo nickels for years in Good to about Very Fine condition. Fred knew this so as he was pulling this coin from the belt buckle he asked me if I had gotten a 1913-S Type 1 for my collection yet. I had not, so he said "got a nickel" and I said "sure" so he traded this coin for my nickel from change. I thanked Fred for this coin and he said we were just exchanging 5 cent coins. Fred said as I got older I would probably would like to get a 1913-S type 1 Buffalo coin with no problems.

I never upgraded this coin from that collection, recently I moved this Buffalo Nickel to my DANSCO 7070 type set album.

AAJ

This coin was in jewelry, the edges still have some solder on it as well as the area by the E Pluribus Unum. smile.gif

By the way, that is not solder by E PLURIBUS UNUM. That is actually die clash that very commonly shows up in that area. If you look closely, you can see it's the under side of the Indian's chin.

That Buffie will be worth more to you than any other Type I you could replace it with.

Thanks for sharing that story...6'1" at what age! 893whatthe.gif

Hi, All

Thank you all for your kind words. cloud9.gif

Shamika: thanks for explaining that area by the "E Pluribus Unum" for me. thumbsup2.gif

WoodenJefferson: I was a growing boy, I drank my milk, gallons of it, and ate all my food! yay.gif

AAJ