• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1898-o Morgan Dollar Roll - VAMMAGE hunting :) - Question!

12 posts in this topic

Hello you Vam-ites ... I am not a Vammer and never claimed to be one. I however have an oddity for your perusal.I have a Roll of MOrgans dated 1898-o and because I have too mucg time on My hands I started looking closely at some of them for vammage. About 5 coins have the slanted "O" to the right - One I found had an "O/O" which was cool. My Question is the Pictured coin .. at first I thought it was a scratch but lo no .. I have 5 coins with the same anomolie. In Each case where I find the Marks around the Laurel leaves I would find a Spike at the Wing. The first two pictures are of two different coins - the wing is from one of them BUT both had the same spike. Having 5 coins with the same thing there must be a VAMMAGE for it no ????

Anyone ??? Well either way this ROLL is VAMMAGE central ..

1735282-vammage.jpg

1735282-vammage.jpg.331b40bf0f5446778c5cb100f7d0fa65.jpg

Interesting pictures. I am not a VAM expert and don't know the vam for these but they almost look like a point from a saw.

I've got the VAM book and the disk and nothing appears quite like the die clash that you have-Maybe a newbie!! When a minor die clash occurred the mint would just polish the dies and reuse them(evidently not always removing all of the imprints). This is most likely what has occurred here but not 100% positive. Definitely not in the VAM book that I can find.

Great Find!!

Jim

Just like one of mine i was told it was not a VAM but a impression from the OBV;

cannot remember which post it was in now!

Mike, it is a die clash from the obverse. The v-shape on it's side is from the cap where the draw string gathers it. The spike above the eagle's wing is from Liberty's neck.

Look inside the left-hand wreath and you may see part or all of the obverse profile of Liberty. You can often see the bridge of her nose, lips and chin. On the obverse, you will often see a spike extending to the southwest just below the juncture of the jawline and the neck. This is from the eagle's wing. You may also see some of the tips of the leaves from the wreath along her hairline below the drawstring of the cap, around her lips and nostril and, if you look closely, there may even be very tiny spikes on the bridge of the nose. These are also the tips of leaves, but much depends on the rotation of the clash. Judging from the spike above the eagle's wing, it appears that the clash was rotated about 4.5 degrees counterclockwise.

These clashes are fairly common and do not warrant attribution in and of themselves. What is important when you see any or all of the ones I've mentioned, is that you should immediately look for clashed letters. The most notable of these is the clashed "E" on the reverse from LIBERTY and it will face northeast between the wreath and the 5th & 6th tailfeathers. Another that you may see is the "n" from IGWT on the obverse. It would be upside down just to the left of Liberty's neckline below the spike that I previously mentioned. Sometimes the letter clashes will be very faint and you must look carefully for them. Many clashes are never repaired by Mint workers, but they will fade in time from continued striking. The letter clashes are important enough that they will warrant a VAM designation.

Chris

Thanks for the Info Chris - It will be fun to look around more.

I have a total of 6 coins in this roll with the pictured issue ... chances are I will find more stuff on the coin ... go letters smile.gif

m

1st coin we have nose lips and chin smile.gif .. its is right at the left side wreath

Not sure I can Picture it though

No Leters on the first coin BUT we have wreath Clash at the Hairline below pull tie ALSO on the other side too Within the LIP and NOSE area

This is weird for me .. heheh ..

Well no Letters frown.gif at +17 I should see them

(I use my Camera Macro lens' off the camera for a loupe heheh )

But we have three with that have the minor clashes that have the slanted right MM "O"

The three good clashes have the wreath marks between the lips and nose of the Face and also at the hair line on the right side.

Kind of Neat.

These worth anything .. I was actually gonna pick out goodies and certify them for grade .. One of the Clashed ones my pull a 65 smile.gif ..

Have you seen the clashed wreath at the lips and nose ... I think I am gonna try to picture that along with the clashed Nose and Lips and chin at the wreath

Stay tuned smile.gif

I've got four of these '82-CC with the clashed "n", but it doesn't photograph well. Here are some of the other clashes on these coins:

Note the spike on the bridge of the nose from a leaf. It also looks like she has a runny nose.

1737503-1882-CCDieClash%231.jpg

1737503-1882-CCDieClash%232.jpg

The vertical spike below the "n" of IGWT is in a properly aligned position. Note that yours is further right. Also, you can see portions of a clash from Liberty's hair on the eagle's neck. Maybe they should call this "Accented Feathers"! 27_laughing.gif

1737503-1882-CCDieClash%233.jpg

Chris

589a926784f99_1737503-1882-CCDieClash3.jpg.d3351eb350ffc62b4a83daf48b13be0b.jpg