• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paypal Email Scams!! Watch out!!

15 posts in this topic

Just giving ya'll some info. Last nite I got an email from paypal showing I made a payment to someone selling me a cellphone for 200 and something dollars. It had a persons address and everything. It said to look for this to come out of your credit card. Anyway, the details are at home. What caught my eye is that this was addressed to "Dear Paypal Member". I remembered that Paypal will only address you by your first and last name. I did not open the link to payment details or anything. I know this is a method for getting personal info from you. I forwarded this " spoof@paypal.com ". They confirmed it was a spam and to delete it. If I had opened it, then I would've needed to go to my paypal acct. and change all personal info.. This is just a reminder to anyone not familiar with getting email from paypal. They will "ALWAYS" address your email with your first and last name. If you get something suspicious, you can forward to the email I listed in this post.

I got it, too. The danger is when you click the link to "your paypal account" and enter your login and password. That's when they've got you.

I remembered that Paypal will only address you by your first and last name.

Guess what? I received this same e-mail addressed to ME. Yes, first and last name. Knowing what I know, I logged on to my Paypal account as I normally do and nothing out of the ordinary. NEVER click ANY link included in ANY e-mail like this. If you are not sure, ALWAYS log into your account outside of the e-mail and as you normally do.

I paid PayPal the $5 and got the electronic ID protector device. It generates a number each time you press the button. No one can sign into my PayPal or Ebay account without this number which is generated by the device.

I got scammed also. It looked like an official PayPal invoice, logo, my name, name of business (a coin dealer in Chicago) address, etc. The return e-mail address was from service at paypal.com But at the bottom of the page it had a bar that asked if this was an authorized purchase, if not--click here to dispute charges. So I clicked. A window opened up to a form fill out page asking for passwords, bank account numbers, PIN numbers, credit card accounts, even SOCIAL SECURITY number!! I immediately froze in my seat-did not move-did not click on anything! Finally I closed the page down, reopened my browser and typed in to PayPal to reported it. Now I have lost all access to my PayPal account - until further notice. Changing my passwords twice, security questions and location verification. They'll get back to me. Last note from them said it could be 7 - 10 business days. Also, a credit card (NOT MINE) was added to my profile with a priority setting. It can't be removed-only edited!! Bottom line - I almost wish I hadn't reported it. Maybe just should have deleted the e-mail invoice and forgot about it. I am glad I didn't click on anything once I opened up that window. These scam people are getting real good. Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't really out there to get you!!

Yeah I got teh new one too - I am concerned they are able to get REAL names

but I suppose its not rocket science to get those.

Forwarded directly to SPOOF

I use "spoof" forwarding so many times for eBay and Pay Pal, that the addresses always seem to remain at the top of the column when I hit "S" for the forwarding address.

Chris

I very seldom get an email from paypal. If I do, I call them. There's too many scams going on not to be safe the first time around.

Never trusted Paypal to begin with. Never had cause to regret that, or to reconsider it.