• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lot of coins won at Local auction room UK

16 posts in this topic

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Just won this lot of coins for a few £'s hear in the uk

The cons are not the best in the world but check out the Ciggarette case they came in 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

when i saw the errors i had to have this lot.

? How many Errors can you see 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ps can any one date it by the place names on it I know SIAM is no longer !!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1735227-111.jpg

1735227-11.jpg

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

1735227-1.jpg

hi.gif

1735227-1.jpg.8ae6a3b1daf15d1ef0ebbebaeb998423.jpg

LIFE Magazine July 31, 1939. "On June 24, 1939 the Government of Siam, the only free nation ( = the only non-European colony ) in Southeast Asia, changes its name to Thailand, which means 'Free Land' ".

Iceland is not off the coast of SE Asia

Ceylon is not Cylon but now Sri Lanka

The Philippines are not Flipain

Bengal instead of Bingal

Findochina must be French Indo-China

These are just a few of the errors I have noted. Cool Cigaratte case! Is it made of silver?

It must be pre 1947, Kashmir was there up untill then, now it's part of Pakisatan, India and China. Siam briefly returned back to that name in 1945 til 1947...a good assumption was that this was made during WWII for trade.

A geographic lesson it is not...I don't know if a lot of the names are errors, could be dialect spelling of once named countries and provinces.

All in all, still a neat container.

When did iceland move from asia to the North ????

Iceland in that image appears to be about where the Philipines should be... so, what I propose is that the creator of the cig case liked his beer. San Miguel brewery is in the Philipines (supposedly the one target US fliers were specifically briefed to watch out for, e.g. miss, while bombing the occupied Philipines in WWII) so if you're going to have a beer in the tropics you want to make sure it's a cold one. Therefore they must make a lot of ice in the Philipines to keep their beer cold. grin.gif

The first time I went into a bar in Manila (outside the now defunked Clark AFB) I witnessed everyone holding up their long neck San Miguel's and then taking a drink. Nobody was clinking or saying a thing, but everyone kept raising their bottles. After doing so, then and only then they'd lower it and take a swig.

Well, after drinking my 3rd bottle so, curiosity finally got to me, so I leaned over and asked my neighbor why everyone was toasting, but saying nothing.

He looked at me and calmly replied, "Their not toasting anything, their holding the bottles up to light to make sure there are no roaches, mice or labels inside the bottles."

I spit beer everywhere!

893whatthe.gif

Well, Woody, I'm still here so I guess that it didn't kill me. I never knew that nor saw it the two times I went to Olongopo in the late eighties.

893whatthe.gif

~Quality Control~

Back in 68, San Miguel used deposite bottles (re-fillable) and the brewery was a hit and miss with the cleaning/rinse cycle before filling with beer. Behind the local bars, wooden crates of empty beer bottles were stacked to the sky! The Oreintals were very thriffty when it comes to available space, even the beer trucks were over loaded and would lean waaaay over when going around corners...it was a real education.

I'm sure by the late 80's they were using disposable bottles and not in the habit of pickling varmits.

~Woody~

Cigarette cases, tea sets and many other items were made of tin by locals in India during WW-II and sold to the British and American soldiers. I have a number of items my Dad brought back from India after the war. Interesting pieces of folk art. He also had some common coins and a few bank notes - none of them worth more than souvenir value.

The first time I went into a bar in Manila (outside the now defunked Clark AFB) I witnessed everyone holding up their long neck San Miguel's and then taking a drink. Nobody was clinking or saying a thing, but everyone kept raising their bottles. After doing so, then and only then they'd lower it and take a swig.

Well, after drinking my 3rd bottle so, curiosity finally got to me, so I leaned over and asked my neighbor why everyone was toasting, but saying nothing.

He looked at me and calmly replied, "Their not toasting anything, their holding the bottles up to light to make sure there are no roaches, mice or labels inside the bottles."

I spit beer everywhere!

893whatthe.gif

sign-funnypost.giftonofbricks.gif