• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It sure is tough to find a nice 1953-S Franklin!

7 posts in this topic

One last Frankie post: I put this coin away quite a few years ago, destined for my blast-white set. You may recall that I've since sold that set, but the one coin I kept out of it was this one (I swapped in a slightly lower-grade coin), because I haven't since found a nicer on un-certified. Needless to say, this one isn't really even close to FBL, but it is not as scritch-scratchy on the cheek as nearly every other '53-S in existence. Many of you know what I'm talking about.

The San Francisco coins from 1951 through 1953 are simply notorious for weak strikes that allowed pre-existing planchet abrasions to remain on Franklin's cheek and behind his ear. The dies weren't close together enough to strike the detail at the highest points. This coin is a little above average, but does have thunderous luster, which is also not that easy to find on these coins.

Enjoy!

k1953s08.jpg

That's a good looking 53-S James

I have a raw MS-60 that looks like a AU-55, but if you study it under magnification, it is not wear, just a very weak strike.

I quit looking for anything higher about 7 years ago when the ceiling was raised way beyond my expectations of what condition you'd get for the price paid.

Hind sight is 20-20 vision...should have bought a better example before the bubble.

nice looking coin, James, but I think it's easier to find a nice 1953-S than a 1948 toned like the one you just posted in the other post.