• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANSWERED! So, NGC plastic is supposedly more difficult to image than PCGS, hmm?

12 posts in this topic

Answer in 8th post below!

Care to guess which of these are in NGC slabs, which are in PCGS slabs, and which are in (gasp 893whatthe.gif) ICG slabs?

1. 1938-D

f1938d08.jpg

2. 1938-D

f1938d09.jpg

3. 1938-S

f1938s08.jpg

4. 1940-S

f1940s08.jpg

5. 1943-D

f1943d08.jpg

6. 1943-S

f1943s08.jpg

7. 1944-D

f1944d08.jpg

8. 1944-S

f1944s08.jpg

9. 1945-S

f1945s08.jpg

I don't collect slabs, only coins so when I buy one it is only a matter of procedure on how to open them. I've found the best way is to just place any of them in a vice, take my saber saw with a average toothed blade and cut the edges off. All, regardless of which TPG will fall apart. I've found that the NGC ones are the thickest ones and most difficult to open due to that thickness. The plastic begins to remelt back together unless I move fast enough with the NGC ones.

Superb photos, despite whatever slab the coins reside in. Those are some great nickels, and the firs '38-D is a screamer!

Hoot

1. 1938-D - NGC MS-67

2. 1938-D - PCGS MS-65

3. 1938-S - PCGS MS-66

4. 1940-S - PCGS MS-66

5. 1943-D - ICG MS-68 (I grade MS-66)

6. 1943-S - NGC MS-67 W

7. 1944-D - NGC MS-67

8. 1944-S - ICG MS-67 (I grade MS-66)

9. 1945-S - NGC MS-67 T

In my opinion, Jefferson nickels are one series that I'm confident image better in NGC slabs than in PCGS slabs. It may have something to do with the thickness of the coin in relation to the thickness of the slab. The ICG coins are easily the worst to image (I didn't have any ANACS slabs to compare). Furthermore, it may be my imagination, but it seems to me as if ICG holders make nickels turn yellow, and not just Jefferson nickels, either.

The coins you see here are all that remain of a set I started about 8 years ago for certified Jefferson nickels. I got about 3/4 of the way done before losing interest, and switching over to uncertified coins. The primary reason was that the slabs occupied way too much bookshelf space, and now, in an album, my nickels take up the space of a small book. I didn't crack any coins out, but peddled off most of them here and there. These are the only nine coins I had left from that set, and since that time, I am positive the NGC and PCGS coins have remained stable, but I'm also pretty sure that the ICG coins have yellowed. They were basically white coins when I bought them.

Thanks for the guesses!

THIN coins in NGC holders are harder for me to image. The reason is the auto focus on my digital camera get fooled by the slab, which blurs the image of the coin WAY DOWN inside the slab.

I've never had any trouble shooting nickels in NGC slabs, but stuff like dimes, quarter eagles and most especially trimes and gold dollars can be tough.

The main problem with small coins in NGC slabs is the shadowing. You really need the light right over the coin practically to not cast a shadow on one edge.

You can think what you want of the new ANACS slabs, but I have found them to be the easiest slabs to photograph that I have ever tried. It seems actually difficult to get a glare off of the slab. It's almost like photographing a raw coin. I haven't really photographed many of them but that is my initial impression.

The main problem with small coins in NGC slabs is the shadowing. You really need the light right over the coin practically to not cast a shadow on one edge.

You can think what you want of the new ANACS slabs, but I have found them to be the easiest slabs to photograph that I have ever tried. It seems actually difficult to get a glare off of the slab. It's almost like photographing a raw coin. I haven't really photographed many of them but that is my initial impression.

This post is spot on about the shadowing. I also agree ANACS slabs are easy to photo!