• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got the latest John Reich Journal today

5 posts in this topic

The issue (Vol. 14, Iss. 2/3) is a double issue due to the death of Russ Logan earlier this year. The mid-year issue got combined with the late-year issue.

This issue is appropriately somber in tone. There was much written remembering the late Mr. Logan. I don't much care for the Capped Bust design, and I have not had the pleasure to meet the man.

Also, the issue remembered John J. Haugh. He did much for me in getting me aware of ED varieties. He also outbid me on the oddity known as the Star Gazer specimen -- a 1799 8x5 dollar that was flipped over and double-struck. The Goldbergs auctioned off the numismatic portion of his estate this Feb during pre-Long Beach. I forgot to bid on it. I would love to obtain this specimen in memory of the late Mr. Haugh.

As usual, there is much in this issue about particular die marriages and die states of the various denominations. There's even a cute article about this guy who cherried an R.5+ Capped Bust half.

One important thing is that the JRCS decided to divide up the census responsibility to different people. (It used to be done all by Russ Logan.) Now, it is: Steve Crain for half dimes, Charles Horning for dimes, Glenn Peterson for quarters, Steve Herrman for the halves, and Dave Perkins for the dollars.

The dime census is scheduled to appear in the next issue of the journal. If you collect Bust Dimes, you still have time. (PM me if you're interested in being included in the census.)

Regards,

EVP

No worries. I suspect that his friends would've enjoyed the unintended pointer to his web site. Something for posterity, eh?

Logan was an engineer. I wonder if maybe his site will far outlive him...

smile.gif

EVP