• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comments on this Twenty Cent Piece

7 posts in this topic

Please leave your opinion on this twenty cent piece. Since this is my first coin photo, my photo taking skills aren't that good and I know it can't be seen that clearly. Please comment on the coin and photos, Thanks!

DSCF1364.jpg

DSCF1366.jpg

My gess from the uk is F12 Obv: VF 20 Rev: 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Like the photos i have to scan all my coins sumo.gif

now let the pros tell me i am way out on the grades !! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hi.gif

One of the key indicators to circulated seated coinage is the wear characteristics of the high points, like the shield in the obverse. The image you show has this portion in a shadowy area...take a picture where the letters LIBERTY ( or what's left of them) in the shield stand out.

The reverse is a tad bit out of focus but then again my skills lack in this area also. For an accurate photo grade, these areas need to be a bit more refined.

This is what passes for VF today, but if you need a type coin, I would not get it. I recommend holding out for a coin with a nice, strong LIBERTY. That will probably mean an extra $100, unless you can cherry-pick, but most people wanting a type coin do want to read that all-important word. This is such a common coin that it's worth the effort to hold out. If this were a CC, that would be different, since those are often weak on the shield, but the "S" mint is not nearly as tough.

On it's own merits, it's a great original coin, but for type purposes, insist on the extra detail.