• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

12 Piece 1858 1CN Patterns (Warning Many photos)

22 posts in this topic

In 1858 the US mint was in the process of changing the design of the Flying Eagle cent to something that they could prodcue better and faster. Those who collect FE and IHCs know that the Flying Eagle cents are often poorly struck - this was a design flaw where the reverse wreath required too much metal movement to fill the dies, often resutling in coins with poorly struck wreaths and a lack of feather definition on the eagles tail on the obverse. - If the mint used greater striking pressure, the dies cracked and wore out faster. They tried to lower the relief on the wreath but they still had problems - so in 1858 they struck a series of Patterns that would ultimately lead to the 1859 IHC. Here's the 3 Obverses and the 4 reverses that resulted in what is now know as the 12 Piece Pattern set.

I displayed the complete set (along with several other patterns from 1856 to 1863) at the 2001 Baltimore ANA - My display won a First place award in the US Coin category - it was the first time I ever publically displayed any of my coins! (My first grandson was born on the day I was notified that I won the 1st place award - all in all, a very good day!)

The Standard issue 1856-1858 Flying Eagle Obverse:

1858-J193-ProofObv.jpg

The Pattern Only 1858 "Skinny" Flying Eagle Obverse:

1858-1c-J202-P246-Obverse.jpg

The Standard Issue Indian Head Cent Obverse:

1858-1c-J213-P258-Obverse.jpg

The Standard Issue 1856-1858 Reverse:

1858-1c-J213-P258-Reverse.jpg

1858 Pattern only Oak Wreath With Shield reverse:

1858-1c-J193-Reverse.jpg

1858 Pattern only Oak Wreath With Shield reverse:

1858-1c-J211-P262-Reverse.jpg

The Standard Issue 1859 Reverse:

1858-1c-J202-P246-Reverse.jpg

When you combine the 3 Obverses and the 4 reverses you get the 12 different coins - 11 patterns and 1 regular issue 1858 Flying Eagle Cent with regular reverse.

Here's a composite of the 3 Obverses and the 4 reverses:

12piecespread.jpg

Newmismatist,

Nice, thanks for the concise summary and representation, makes it easier to understand the Patterns of this cent.

Rey

That is an amazing display and some of the coins appear to have a significant amount of cameo contrast. Apparently, it was a good day for you when you displayed! thumbsup2.gif

That is an amazing display and some of the coins appear to have a significant amount of cameo contrast. Apparently, it was a good day for you when you displayed! thumbsup2.gif

About half of my set were Cameo coins - I like that look and try and collect coins with Cameo devices -

That Agricultural Wreath is really something to behold...thanks for presenting these patterns in this manner, very understandable and it makes them very desireable as well.

That Agricultural Wreath is really something to behold...thanks for presenting these patterns in this manner, very understandable and it makes them very desireable as well.

There's another thread that ties in with this thread and shows how the Agricultural Wreath affected the striking of the Flying Eagle cents. It's quite interesting to see the visual over-lay of where that wreath "sits" on the obverse planchet during the striking process; Here's the link to the other thread - enjoy:

Linky to why the Mint changed from the Flying Eagle to the Indian Head cent

Stunning set...and what gem coins to boot. One of my Fantasy Sets.

My FE/IHC set would absorb those coins very easily !!

Great presentation !!!

This is the coolest set I’ve seen lately! cloud9.gif

Major drool factor...

Thanks for the pics and some great information about your coins. thumbsup2.gif

I think I've got about 7 or 8 of the individual coins as Obverse/Reverse pairs - I think I have J-191, J-192, J-193, J-202, J-211, J-212 and J-213 as Obv/Rev pairs - not coins that you'll see often

I am truly envious! That is the greatest collection of coins of that type I have ever seen, bar none! You must truly be proud of this effort. Thank you for sharing what we otherwise may have never witnessed together.

That's an incredible set, Ron. Complete with cameos....

Here's a couple of the Obv/Rev pairs that were in the set:

The transitional Flying Eagle - Regular issue 1858 FE Obv and the 1859 Regular Issue Reverse:

1858-1c-J191-P233-PF64-NGC-1741995-.jpg

The transitional Indian Head Cent - Regular issue 1859 Indian Head Obv and the 1858 FE Regular Issue Reverse:

1858-1c-J213-P258-PF64Cameo-NGC-174.jpg

That is an amazing display and some of the coins appear to have a significant amount of cameo contrast. Apparently, it was a good day for you when you displayed!

thumbsup2.gif

really neat set and i think the flyer (official issue) and patterns are the most beautiful of the 19th century coinage

i can see why there are many collectors of the flyer patterns..... the flyers look better on the standard cent size planchet