• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fractionals design

12 posts in this topic

Would you be more interested in collecting bullion fractionals if each size/denomination had a different design?

The golds could use the St. Gaudens double eagle and eagle as well as the incuse indian half and quarter eagle designs.

The plats could use the WL, SLQ, Merc and Buffalo nickel designs.

There's no reason for silver fractionals.

I'd be much more interested in US bullion if they alternated the designs every year like, for example, the silver britannias. I liked the platinum designs a few years back with the eagle flying across America.

I'd be much more interested in US bullion if they alternated the designs every year like, for example, the silver britannias. I liked the platinum designs a few years back with the eagle flying across America.

I agree mike thumbsup2.gif

Why do we always have to copy old designs? Is the current generation of artists so devoid of talent that we can't come up with new artistic designs?

Why do we always have to copy old designs? Is the current generation of artists so devoid of talent that we can't come up with new artistic designs?

Yes.

One of the goals of the Mint is to increase revenues and profits. Recycling designs is a low risk way to ensure brisk sales.

The commem designs change and they can be a hit or miss. The Mint might like some stability in their bullion sales to increase the predictability of their revenue stream.

Yes.

The mint was devoid of artistic talent 100 years ago so Teddy R. went outside the mint to get new designs. Nothing has really changed. Maybe the mint should use outside artists now to come up with some new designs.

The mint was devoid of artistic talent 100 years ago so Teddy R. went outside the mint to get new designs. Nothing has really changed. Maybe the mint should use outside artists now to come up with some new designs.
Actually, a lot has changed. Check out the Mint's Artistic Infusion Program:
The United States Mint’s Artistic Infusion Program (AIP) began in 2003 with a nationwide call for artists to help invigorate American coin and medal design. [... The Artistic Infusion Program artists] were invited to submit designs for the 2006 nickel, the 2007 50 State Quarters® Program, the 2006-2008 American Eagle Platinum Coin Program, and the commemorative coins honoring the 400th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown.
The Mint started considering designs by outside artists back in 1999 for the small golden dollar. Many of the SHQs are also designed by outside artists. If the new coins are considered lacking in artistic talent it could be that the talent is lacking (inside and outside the Mint) or that management lacks the ability to pick good designs.

Okay, I take my comment back... The artists are there, the Mint just chooses the UGLIEST designs possible. I do like the Washington Statehood quarter, that one has some really cool artistry.