• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Contest Photos!!

Which coin photo is the best?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Which coin photo is the best?

25 posts in this topic

So as many of you remember I had sent out a coin for photoing long ago. It got hung up 2 times, and now I have finally got the coin back. To those on the list who did not get to photo the coin sorry. To those who did thanks! Here are the images I got back. Pick your favorite one.

contest1.jpg

Contest2.jpg

contest3.jpg

contest4.jpg

Photos:

1) Shows the colors well, and makes the coin actuallylook like a proof.

2) I like this one, but it looks a tad MS

3) Makes the reverse look really cool!

4) Similar to 1, but needs to be cropped closer together

1) Like alot but wonder if it has changed the true color of the coin slightly.

2) Brings out colors more in areas, shadows on bust and darkness around outer edge of coin threw me at first but that concern was shortlived.

3) Blurry/hazy to me, not as sharp, not as revealing.

4) Like alot too, but # 1 shows more of the toning detail and appears to be a little sharper.

I actually went back and forth between all at first, they all four have certain positive attributes.

Rey

It looks to me like the coin has both toning and some cameo contrast (at least on the reverse), so I picked 3. The obverse image shows some of the colors (granted not as well as a couple other images) and the reverse image, while dark and showing little of the color, shows the contrast between the devices and the fields.

I used the poll and preffered #2 over-all.

#1 - I like it, it has a more natural look.

#2 - I preferred because it gives a more detailed look for grading purposes.

#3 - Looks a little too subdued for me.

#4 - Looks good but is too bright in the fields.

1) Color is too subdued.

2) Fields look like a proof but the color on the reverse does not come through.

3) Catches some of the light cameo but the color is too dark.

4) Shows the colors well but the light cameo was not captured.

I would have bet the the first image is yours since it exhibits all of the BruceView characteristics. thumbsup2.gif

I would have bet the the first image is yours since it exhibits all of the BruceView characteristics. thumbsup2.gif

That image is not mine. I cannot take credit for that one.

1) Looks a bit 2D, similiar to the pics from NGC, without definition, color looks splattered on.

2) Beautiful 3D with depth and roundness to the features and really allows the color to saturate into the coin. No doubt as to the PR qualities. My pick.

3) My second pick-It was just not as colorful and definite as #2. A little too much of a chrome look to obv, but a beautiful cameo look to reverse.

4) Perhaps due to size in comparison, just not enough detail showing in breast feathers, hair, etc.

Thanks for the view and post.

Jim

They all show the color fairly well with #1 doing the best job of it, but only #4 is well showing the whole face without washing it out, while the other three all have large dark shadows obscuring portions of the coin.

So I find number 4 to be my favorite, and the best over all photo. 893applaud-thumb.gif

My thoughts after looking...

#1. Good light placement but doesn't show toning colors to their best advantage. Reverse fields appear almost grainy as if upsized in software to match the magnification of the obverse.

#2. High contrast on obverse with a heavy shadow obscuring the chin. Stare at it long enough and it starts to look like a beard! Reverse shot is excellent.

#3. Interesting attempt to conquer the contrast problems inherent in the obverse. Unfortunately the lower right quadrant seems a little washed out. Dark fields in the reverse contrast nicely with the eagle but some toning color is lost.

#4. This is my pick for first prize. Everyone had good results on the reverse but the obverse shots opened up the field for me. None of the shadows get blotchy and overpower it, nothing is blown out, yet the contrast and color are both superb. A closer crop to the coin with less empty space would be an improvement. (the only one I can think to add.)

I think I remember this contest getting derailed a while back, though I thought the coin had made it more than four rounds. It must have been a beast to photo. Hopefully the photogs will share their setups and the specific challenges they overcame to get their shots. Congratulations to all Y'all who participated.

Matt

These are my opinions, written before reading anyone else's.

1 Very well-focused - probably close on the color, although I'm thinking white-balance is off slightly. A little loss of details in the shadows.

2 is underexposed, with a loss of detail in the shadows.

3 loses focus, I'm assuming because the coin was slabbed and the slab had light reflections hitting the lens.

4 isn't too bad - good exposure, probably shows the color pretty well. I had reservations about the smaller size (not a big factor), but also a lack of fine detail in things like the hair and breast feathers. I would have chosen this one if the detail was a little sharper.

All are very nice images, but they do have their issues. I'll bet this coin was a SOB to image. For me, the two best were 1 and 4. Neither was 100%, but they were both ~95% "there". 1 had the main issue of a loss of detail in shadows, while 4's big thing was a soft focus. I could have gone either way, honestly, but I'm going to have to say 1 wins for me, since I feel it shows the coin's details better. If 4 had been in a little sharper focus, it would have been my choice.

Good job to all!

Photos:

1) Probably the sharpest image - shows everything on the coin - might even show stuff that you barely see, but the colors don't pop out at you.

2) A bit too dark - too much shadow on the obverse - the reverse is really cool - having owned a few toned proof, my guess is that this one captures the real colors very well on the reverse.

3) The obverse looks MS and (no mirrors) but the reverse looks like a black and white cameo.

4) Makes the coin look MS - nice reverse

I can't decide which I like best - each has it's own attributes - any of this group of images would be a nice addition to my collection of toned coins images.

When will you reveal the picture takers?

Sounds like a good time now..

1. James_EarlyUS

2. Chinook

3. Regis - He no longer post

4. Midwest