• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Reliable Premium Coin Catalogue and Price List 1907

19 posts in this topic

Hi, Everyone

I have had this small (4 1/8" x 5 3/4") coin catalogue for many years now that was published by C. F. Clarke & CO., Le Roy, N. Y., coin dealers in 1907.

Here is the cover:

cfcc.jpg

I have enjoyed going back in time to see what it was like to be coin collector in 1907 and what coins were being bought for by a coin retailer of that time.

In the "Important Information About Rare Coins" page one bold rule was "NEVER CLEAN A RARE COIN". Also, check out the 'Condition Of Coins" section, simple and straight forward! Some sound advice within this little tome for sure!

Here is that page along with the first page: "HALF CENTS"

cfc1.jpg

The next two pages cover the "LARGE COPPER CENTS", SMALL CENTS" $3.00 to $5.00 offered for a 1856 Flying Eagle cent!, TWO CENT PIECIES, SILVER and NICKEL THREE-CENT PIECES.

cfc2.jpg

Well I can go on and on with this great look at the hobby back in 1907, it you are interest in seeing any other pages let me know and I can post them here for you.

I hope you got a kick from this Coin Catalogue of 1907!

I will close with a couple of my favorite pages: HALF DOLLARS and DOLLARS!

cfc4.jpg

AAJ

Al,

That is so interesting, nice bit of history. I am often amazed when I go back to look at a 1959 Red Book I have. Like they say if some of us would have known then what we know now.

It looks like choice examples of the Gobrecht dollars were a bit harder to come by than the catalogue would suggest. Here are the prices paid at the James B. Wilson sale of October 1908 (each winding up in the Norweb collection).

1836 (on base) $10

1836 (below base) $104

1838 $190

1839 $51.

PS A plated Wilson catalogue sold for $575 in a recent Kolbe sale!!

hey al, do you think you could send me one of the 1797 halves for the $20 it's worth? I have paypal and can send it quick!! 27_laughing.gif

Trade Dollars were demonetized by the US government in 1887 and there was a face value redemption period that lasted only until 1888 or so. After that time, the pieces were only worth bullion value, which was about 75 cents during this era. It was not until much later that Trade dollars were again made legal tender.

takeit.gif1895 dollars (no mint mark) $1.25 to $2.00 foreheadslap.gif

Those are Proofs right 27_laughing.gifbumpit.gif

All I can tote makepoint.gif

Btw Al i think c.f. clarke is the company that made a lot of sewing thread back then 893applaud-thumb.gif

takeit.gif1895 dollars (no mint mark) $1.25 to $2.00 foreheadslap.gif

Those are Proofs right 27_laughing.gifbumpit.gif

All I can tote makepoint.gif

Don't forget, they had only been made 12yrs earlier.

Looking at that makes me want to cry. frown.gif

It's the same thing with "if only I started collecting silver proof sets one year earlier" (I started in 2000). Sigh.

Hi, EZ_E

OK, here is the HALF DIMES, FIVE-CENT PIECES, DIMES or 10 CENT SILVER, TWENTY CENT PIECES and QUARTER DOLLARS!

Not Capped Bust Halves and Quarters, it is Fillet Head! It is the ribbow and not the cap! 893whatthe.gif

More to come! grin.gif

cfc3.jpg

AAJ

Hi, All

Happy to see many of you get a kick out of these listed prices from 1907 as much as I have, just from 100 years ago! grin.gif

Here is the GOLD COIN PRICES!

cfc5.jpg

cfc6.jpg

AAJ

I just looked in the 1959 Red Book I have and the $0.20 were an average of $30.00 for unc. then and the 1794 Half Dime was up to $200.00 unc. WOW!!!

Rey

Also, remember that when the catalog says "Fine Condition" that is roughly equivelent to EF or better by modern definitions.