• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I open it or leave it closed?

2 posts in this topic

I have a mint canvas bag of 2005-D buffalo nickels and I was wondering wheter or not I should open it or leave ot closed. I've heard that if the coins stay in the bags for too long that they will start to tone an ugly color, and if I open them and don't find anything worth-while, then what do I do with the bag of nickels. Any Thoughts??

I bought the 2004 P&D and 2005 P&D bags from the Mint, and went through all four bags. I can only relate to you my impressions. The coins were so bad that it wasn't worth it. Some of them were so scuffed that the rims snagged on my cotton gloves. The fields and devices were full of nicks, dents, scars and gouges. I got the feeling that they were being shoveled around by disgruntled Mint workers.

This is just my opinion, but if I were you, I would try to unload it unopened. You might get better money for it. At least, the buyer couldn't accuse you of cherrypicking.

Chris