• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are the values in the NGC Registry completely screwy?

4 posts in this topic

First off, let me say straight out, I collect for my own pleasure in my own way. Getting Registry points to me is not what coin collecting is about. For example, I have been working on a toned MS Franklin set for about 3-4 years now. When completed in the condition (65/66 with or without FBL depending on the rarity for the date) that I'm looking for, the collection will only rank somewhere around 20ish in the Registry, yet I'd put it up against any other set for visual impact. I can afford to buy a higher grade set, but I'm not driven by the plastic.

Having said all that, is it just me or do many people out there think the Registry point values are COMPLETELY screwy? For example, the 1938 Walking Liberty PR66CAMEO I posted earlier this week is worth 1687 points. A 1938 Walker in PR67 is worth 1707. Let me see a show of hands of who would prefer to own even a nice looking PR67 Walker over the PR66CAMEO? Yeah, kinda' thought so. It gets even screwier with modern MS/PRDCAM 70 stuff. A gold 1987 Constitution coin in PR70DCAM is worth 2385 points, yet there are literally hundreds of these coins slabbed in this grade. Just go to the modern gold commemorative section and see some of the INSANE Registry values these coins get. Then go and look at some of the classic Type series at any number of date/mintmarks that TRULY ARE rare coins and look at their Registry values. What is going on here?

"Are the values in the NGC Registry completely screwy?"

Who cares? If you are truly collecting for yourself, why worry about the formula for calculating rankings?

That said, rarity doesn't count when it comes to type or even date sets -- the only number that matters is the grade. Part of the reason why the registry is poorly suited for collectors -- it is made for the grading companies and driving their business. If you look at it from that perspective, the logic for calculating points is clear...Mike

A little bit insane.gif its nice to get points for your coins but as you can see from my 2040th place its not why i collect (i dont get any points for my World coins)

Q? Why do i get no points at all for some of my Cents should you not get at least 1point for a ms one !! shy.gif

I find myself not completely in agreement with MikeInFL regarding the point values awarded coins in the NGC registry paradigm. Please note that I only have one set and it is a complete copper, nickel and silver type set and that I do not look through the other category listings offered.

The type set rewards absolute rarity of type to a degree, but slides the values of coins for a greater reward with higher graded pieces, which makes sense to me. However, the low cost pieces have far more points than they would deserve relative to the rare type coins if the system were linear. It is obvious that the registry rewards easy to find, low cost coinage much higher than other coinage. This makes sense; by handsomely rewarding more generic pieces there is a greater sense of participation, ownership and relevancy given to a broader base of folks, in my opinion.