• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could this be a proof peace dollar?

5 posts in this topic

I don't know much about proof peace dollars, but while looking through some of my coins, I notices that this one had a different look than the rest. The coin has lines running east and west on the coin and I'm not sure what they are. The coin also has some luster but it is not like a regular uncirculated peace dollar. It doesn't reflect any light, and it's surfaces just aren't like a normal peace dollar. I've looked at pictures online of proof peace dollars but they are dull and not very good. Any guesses are appreciated as I have no idea what this would be considered. Thanks

1726627-Untitled-1.jpg.6ada81bee65a0ca3432b04166cde5b5f.jpg

This coin does not have the characteristics of a matte proof.

I have seen these lines on post 1900 Morgan dollars. The Van Allen-Maillis text indicates they are from drawing the silver into strips before the planchets are cut out.

The coin surface looks similiar to a coin stamped from a machine engraved die. The 1900 O Morgan was counterfeited using this method and it left a grainy texture to the coin fields and features. Not saying this is the case but the look is similiar.

Jim