• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern patterns?

9 posts in this topic

What does the Mint do with modern pattern coins? Do they even produce them? If so, are they ever released for collection?

When were the last pattern coins produced that were widely distributed (or even released) for collection?

Does anyone have pics of any modern pattern coinage that you've collected?

Hoot

The only truly modern pieces I can think of are the Martha Washington pieces of 1965 and the proof Bicentennial coinage without mintmarks. I may have images of each but do not know where I would have them. confused.gif

The only truly modern pieces I can think of are the Martha Washington pieces of 1965 and the proof Bicentennial coinage without mintmarks. I may have images of each but do not know where I would have them. confused.gif

I believe the no mint mark Bicentennial coins were presentation pieces rather than patterns. As I understood it the design had already been picked when these were made, so they aren't technically patterns. They were made as show pieces.

How about the 1974 aluminum cents, are they considered patterns?

I don't consider them patterns. I would consider then possibly trial strikes. They have the same design as regular cents, but just a different metal.

To me it is:

Patterns: Possible design choice.

Presentation Piece: Normal coin designs where the coin (presentation piece) was specially made (struck in proof, or perhaps struck in a different metal such as gold for a special reason and not as part of a possible metal replacement, or struck on specially prepared planchets).

Trial strikes: Normal coin design where the coin was struck to test striking of a different metal or to gauge die pressure.

At least that is how I view them. I don't know if those are accurate definitions according to the numismatic community. The 1974 aluminum cent would probably be a trial strike since I believe they were made due to mint testing. They were not specifically made to present to members of congress.

The Gallery Mint produced Concept dollars both in 1995 and 2000. Although not offical Mint products, they fit within the realm of Patterns for me although not in the truest sense.

The Gallery Mint coins remind me of the numerous Edward VIII "patterns" issued by private companies. There seem to be so-called patterns for every country in the commonwealth.

Part of the answer for the scarcity of modern patterns is that Linderman and Snowden aren't Mint Directors any more. Since it would be nigh impossible to have lots of patterns produced to trade with collectors these days, I doubt any Mint personnel would dare try. Since new coin design always seems to go to Congress for approval, there are also fewer attempts at design changes. Maybe we can blame the Mint Act of September 1891 and the lack of initiative at the Mint.

I think rather than the Mint striking modern patterns - they allow independent mints to produce what are usually referred to as concept coins. This was done with the SBA and the Sacky.

With the Sacky - there were special mintings in the beginning. There were the 12 gold coins that were sent along on a space mission. There were the VIP coins that were handed out - approx 600 of them struck at the Phily Mint and 120 struck at the Denver Mint. But these are not referred to as patterns. Yet they had special planchets and special dies.

There were also the trial strike Sackys - struck on various planchets. I wonder why these are not considered to be patterns.

And knowing the Mint - I also have to wonder if there are not pattern coins being produced for the SQ series, the modern commems and the new nickel design. Of course if there were - we would likely never hear of it for years to come until the coins begin to surface.