• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting IH PROOF Pics

8 posts in this topic

This is a series of five pics I took of an IH PROOF, all unretouched, just varied lighting and tilt of the coin. The sixth shot is from the Goldberg auction site (I don't know how they did it). My apologies for not being able to get them all on one page.

230901-1901pfobv1a.JPG

230902-1901pfobv2b.JPG

Interesting comparison's Mike. Coins like this usually need a pair of images since even in hand they look different at 90 degrees than they do at an angle, unless special lighting is introduced (and maybe some post imaging color balance) as with Goldberg's pic. They do a great job with toned IH proofs like this.

I agree that the Goldbergs do an excellent job on not only proof copper, but, also with any medium to deeply toned coin. Your images of the IHC proof indicate just how tough it is to know the true look of a coin like this through images alone. I am certain shylock will agree with this.

Attached is an image of a silver coin that I purchased from a Goldberg auction and the coin looks almost exactly as the image portrays it to look. Again, I also do not know their method for image capture.

230960-HCB1826PCGS53.jpg.3cd98fc843b71714f34b82c6ac21c334.jpg

mike that indian is incredible

those different photos are quite a contrast if someone had a collection and needs to show it off in photos

i can see how good photos are really important

just from these five photos i can see why if anyone is into coins they would need to see the coin sight seen before making any decisions on it

these photos of the same coin are quite a learning curve for me

if for example there was an auction of a great eye appealling coin and it was not photographed to sohw its true colors so to speak and most were bidding thruogh the internet

man those floor bidders that had previously examined the coin sight seen would have a tremendous advantage

michael

hey another great thread! this is what we really need on these forums

893applaud-thumb.gif Beautiful toned proof - In addition to tilting the coin a little, also try different light angles, and you might try different light sources - Incandescent light gives different coloration than say, halogen light - At most photo supplie stores you can buy Blue (BB1) bulbs which are most like natural light - Also, I think there may be a difference between digital cameras and film cameras in the way they image the coins. Finally bronze & copper coins are the most difficult to image - the color gets lost & some really neat coins don't look as nice in their photos. Shylock probably can provide you with additional pointers re taking great photos.

Most revealing pictures. They really illustrate the nuances of angle and light temperature. I always go back and try to make the image color balance look like the coin (that my eyes see, of course) in natural daylight (9000 degrees K).