• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teaching newmismatists

9 posts in this topic

Given that there are many new collectors and that these collectors favor certain types of coins that may decrease populations of original coins, what is the best way to reach out to and educate new collectors? Is there anything that can be done pro-actively or do we need to wait till they show up on a forum like this?

Help them join the ANA and explore the education options.

Have them subscribe to a weekly publication like Numismatic News or Coin World.

You can't force someone to learn. They have to want to learn and no amount of coercion will help.

Scott hi.gif

I think at one time the ANA was doing a good job in helping educate new collectors.

I think the top grading services have a obligation to try to educate new collectors and are doing so to some degree.

The top auction houses could also do a better job to educate new collectors by giving them useful information on their websites.

I know that the coin forum's are a great place to educate new collectors. I just wish the newbies didn't have to put up with so much BS when they try to ask questions and try to make, what they think are intelligent comments. This forum treats the newbies pretty well but I can't say that for all the forums.

The best thing anyone can do to educate newbies is to encourage them. Sure they need to be steered away from the sharks but if you scare them out of the water they'll never become interested enough to learn much.

This especially applies to the younger newbies.

If you feel comfortable, have them take a drive with you to a local show or trusted dealer. Even though you may not be an expert, there are many nuances that a new collector can apply when they are ready to make their early purchases.

Given that there are many new collectors and that these collectors favor certain types of coins that may decrease populations of original coins, what is the best way to reach out to and educate new collectors?

Educate? I say: ELIMINATE!

More coins for me, that way.

Educate? I say: ELIMINATE!

More coins for me, that way.

Heh, that's one reason why I wonder at the concerns about a coin market crash or correction. If the market goes down and collectors leave, coins will be a lot more affordable for the collectors that stick around!

You can't force someone to learn. They have to want to learn and no amount of coercion will help.

Simply not true - send in Jack Bauer.

Aiding new collectors to become more literate is the best way I can think of. Otherwise, I gree with James. insane.gif

Hoot