• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I be grading a 1986 $50 Gold Eagle Proof?

3 posts in this topic

I have couple of 1986 $50 Gold Eagle Proofs (in original mint box with COA). The coins are in regular plastic coin holder in the blue mint box. Would it be wise to send these (in original packing / it's open box though) to NGC for grading?

Or would the coin by itself have more value? (I guess if this coin comes out to be MS70, it'd be really valuable).

Atleast one tip I found here was never take the proof coin out of the original plastic holder (and NGC suggesting that we don't ship all the original mint boxes, since they won't be shipped back when the coin is graded).

So the question is now if its worth spending that much $ for grading (or in my case a free coupon from being a new member)...

Atleast one tip I found here was never take the proof coin out of the original plastic holder (and NGC suggesting that we don't ship all the original mint boxes, since they won't be shipped back when the coin is graded).

So the question is now if its worth spending that much $ for grading (or in my case a free coupon from being a new member)...

Well, in coins requiring the unopened FEDEX box I have been assured they WILL return all boxes, etc.

In ANY case, leave it in the mint plastic, but they keep it after grading. (Who gets to take them home???)

If you have no plans to sell it, I see two ways to look at it. 1. Wait until you decide to sell it to find out where it sits. 2. Waiting could cost more and/or be hit by a new grading standard.

I know, I know. I am going through this myself with about 50 different coins. It's nerve wracking!!