• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007 Silver Britannia

12 posts in this topic

Here's a photo of my newest coin - a 2007 Silver Britannia (BU) from the Baltimore show, kindly picked up for me by Scott B. My pics don't show a slight cerulean toning present on the coin. I grade this coin somewhere around a MS-66 or -67 due to slight contact on the Queen's cheek from apparently being in a roll (note, I didn't think that these were issued in mint rolls, but Scott B said the dealer had 4 left from his roll, so I guess they were released in rolls this year.) Overall a nice coin and an attractive alternate-year design on the reverse. I may end up trying to upgrade it, since I'm going for a MS-69 set, but it's a fun and attractive piece to own in the meantime. Thanks, Scott!

1724150-obv_rev_blue.jpg

1724150-obv_rev_blue.jpg.6bbbc48a005d1af09a1abd0b908624f6.jpg

Hi there i have just got mine from the royal mint and they do not come in rolls they are in sealed idavidual packets with the information about the coin.

1724159-BR07AG_1.jpg

if you have a look on world coin Recent Aqs page 12 you will see how they are issued by the mint

I am hopeing for at least a PF69 for mine and yours should be PF graded

acording to the mint this is the only ones they are doing this year and are selling like hot cakes

the 2003 coins were sent out in rolls as they were leagle tender for that year

i have got the PF Gold / Silver £2 coin and its a belter this year

1724159-UKAOUSP_3.jpg

but if you like the £2 you will love the £5 coins they are stunner and i the last week have gone up from £29.95 to over £39.00 FROM THE MINT !!!!!

1724159-UKDWSP_3.jpg

the gold £5 is nice but a bit pricey

1724159-UKDWGP_3.jpg

all the best dooly hi.gif

1724159-BR07AG_1.jpg.db066735859f7af5e4573cd9d0658b0c.jpg

Dooly,

I'm aware that the royal mint offers MS silver britannias on mint cards and has, in previous years also offered them in plastic sheets. In 2003, they sent them out in rolls. I'm only going by what the dealer said (through Scott) about this year being in rolls. I couldn't find the post you referenced.

This coin is a MS coin - not a proof; there will be a proof offering later in the year. The RM mints some very nicely finished coins (prior to shipping, where I believe the majority get damaged), which are roughly equal in quality to US mint proofs in some cases; however, the MS/BU britannias are not the same thing as the proof britannias, which have not yet been issued for the year.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif i wonder how you get them dammage as unless they are leagal tender all the coins i have rceved over the years from the mint have been individualy packed!!

it makes me wonder how your dealers are aquiring there coins Seconds maybe !!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm not talking damaged damaged. I'm referring to a little rub on the cheek due to shifting in packaging (e.g., in rolls or the sheets) and coin-on-coin contact. I've consistently seen slight abrasion on the Queen's cheek and other high points on many coins I've come across.

I ordered a 2007 Silver Britannia (plus some other world silver bullion) from APMEX, and it came in the original BRM plastic with scuff marks on the Queen's cheek. I returned it for an exchange, but they gave me a refund instead --- I guess all their samples at the time had scuff marks. I had the same issue with a 2005 Britannia, but back then they were able to find a mark-free replacement.

Probably the Britannias wouldn't have these issues if the BRM followed the lead of Australia and China and placed them in hard capsules.

I guess I'll end-up ordering this year's uncirculated Britannia from the BRM...

Hi there i have just got mine from the royal mint and they do not come in rolls they are in sealed idavidual packets with the information about the coin.

I spoke to a dealer friend who was not at Baltimore. He said that this is the first year the Royal Mint has shipped bulk Britannias to dealers in rolls. These are the plastic rolls similar to the ones the US Mint uses to ship uncirculated Eagles.

I also asked about the abrasions on the cheek. He said it appears on all of the coins. He ordered four rolls and they are on the coins in all four rolls. My friend things it is something in the manufacturing process since he's spoken with other dealers that have seen the same problem.

He tried to contact the Royal Mint through their offices in Minnesota, but his calls were not returned. It seems the Royal Mint is learning about customer service from the US Mint! makepoint.gif

I have him looking for two coins without the abrasions. If he finds one Michael, we'll just do the same arrangements as before. thumbsup2.gif

Scott hi.gif

It seems the Royal Mint is learning about customer service from the US Mint!
Hopefully they'll also learn about pricing proof bullion from the US Mint!

I spoke to a dealer friend who was not at Baltimore. He said that this is the first year the Royal Mint has shipped bulk Britannias to dealers in rolls. These are the plastic rolls similar to the ones the US Mint uses to ship uncirculated Eagles.

2003 coins were also issued in bulk rolls. The result was a lot of scuffed up coins (the Queen's cheek is such a large, high, and undetailed field that it begs to get scatched or scuffed). Thus, 2003s and 2007s, apparently now, are difficult years to find in super good shape. I might just have to end up ordering one of the coins from the RM since it comes on a mint card in a capsule. Those might be in better shape than the bulk stuff the dealers are getting.

hi.gif SORRY foreheadslap.gif

flowerred.gif

I talked to the mint today and they said they ARE sending bulk coins overseas in rolls and the information i was given was "just" for the uk market

Ie: only the uk or small order coins are being sent out in the mint packages.

So i think you are right if you want a MS69/70 this will be your best chance..

The ones i have recived have no marks on the Queens cheek one did have a little Fluff inside the case but should blow off when its opened by NGC

Do you think this could be a marketing ploy!!! to dammage lots of these coins so they are less than 69s when they arrive over seas? or just a lack of thourght on the Mints part ?? hi.gif

Do you think this could be a marketing ploy!!! to dammage lots of these coins so they are less than 69s when they arrive over seas? or just a lack of thourght on the Mints part ??
Silver rounds are bullion and traditionally the vast majority of bullion buyers didn't care about pristine states of their silver rounds, they just want the silver.

I've visited pawn shops where they have raw ASEs that have been handled like silver coins were 100 years ago, like circulated coins.

That'd be one thing if Britannias were sold at or just above melt, but the uncirculated examples are selling for $28 and the proofs for around $60.

The whole pricing structure of Britannias is completely out-of-whack. They sell for only a modest premium graded, few are actually graded, and the ones that are sell for weird prices - (e.g., lower graded coins selling for more than higher graded coins because so few are out there for sale at one time there's nothing to compare prices to unless you keep a constant eye on the market to monitor prices.)